Best coal boiler for hydronic in floor heating

Redkeck
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaskan Gnome
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Redkeck » Mon. Feb. 18, 2019 11:39 am

Hello!! I’m new to the group. I have been burning coal in an Alaskan Gnome for 8 years. Love it!! I’m in the process of building a new home. I will be installing in floor heating in the 1800sqft main floor, full basement and 900sqft attached garage. We will have a propane boiler and the coal boiler. From what my hvac guy is telling me, in floor heating runs at 120°. Most everything I’ve seen or read shows everyone running the boiler at 160°- 180°. I’m looking at the Harmon VF3000, LL WL110 and Keystoker KA6. ( I have dealers withing a hour from my location. ) Any advice or experience would help. Thanks in advance.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Feb. 18, 2019 11:49 am

180*F water is PERFECT!
Returning water (cooler) gets mixed or blended into the boiler's 180 out going supply to be exactly 120*F water all day long...and you still have 180 for other hotter loops to use. ;)

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Mon. Feb. 18, 2019 11:53 am

We love our Keystoker kaa-4. Proven design with great customer support. BTW, you still run the boiler at 160 to 180 but use a mixing valve to send 120 deg water to your in floor radiant runs. A modern, just built house with 6" walls can probably be heated with a 60 watt bulb or two, right?

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Mon. Feb. 18, 2019 12:41 pm

Welcome to the forum.

We don't know what part of the world you are in, but unless your climate is mild, I would not go with the WL-110 or the VF-3000. These units have smallish stokers and will struggle to push the temperature up in a radiant floor system of that size.

In my opinion, the Keystoker would be a better choice, but you should do a heat loss calculation so you can better understand how much heat your boiler needs to put out. I'd also like to mention that if you are going with a coal fired boiler you should use it to heat your domestic water too. This will require about 30,000 BTU on top of what the house uses.

I noticed that the stokers you have selected are all "hopper fed". In my opinion, if you are going with an automatic coal feed system, why would you want to fill a hopper every day or two?

One other pointer on new construction and coal boilers. Make sure your builder is putting up a chimney at least 8" id and more than 15 feet high or you will have draft problems no matter which boiler you choose.

-Don

Redkeck

Post by Redkeck » Mon. Feb. 18, 2019 12:54 pm

nepacoal wrote:
Mon. Feb. 18, 2019 11:53 am
We love our Keystoker kaa-4. Proven design with great customer support. BTW, you still run the boiler at 160 to 180 but use a mixing valve to send 120 deg water to your in floor radiant runs. A modern, just built house with 6" walls can probably be heated with a 60 watt bulb or two, right?

How many tons do you burn in a season??

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Mon. Feb. 18, 2019 1:01 pm

I burn year around and used 6 tons each of the last two years and have used 4 tons so far this year. I have an un-insulated (brick/plaster) 1500 square foot, 1940 cape cod at 1900 feet elevation.
Last edited by nepacoal on Mon. Feb. 18, 2019 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redkeck

Post by Redkeck » Mon. Feb. 18, 2019 1:05 pm

StokerDon wrote:
Mon. Feb. 18, 2019 12:41 pm
Welcome to the forum.

We don't know what part of the world you are in, but unless your climate is mild, I would not go with the WL-110 or the VF-3000. These units have smallish stokers and will struggle to push the temperature up in a radiant floor system of that size.

In my opinion, the Keystoker would be a better choice, but you should do a heat loss calculation so you can better understand how much heat your boiler needs to put out. I'd also like to mention that if you are going with a coal fired boiler you should use it to heat your domestic water too. This will require about 30,000 BTU on top of what the house uses.

I noticed that the stokers you have selected are all "hopper fed". In my opinion, if you are going with an automatic coal feed system, why would you want to fill a hopper every day or two?

One other pointer on new construction and coal boilers. Make sure your builder is putting up a chimney at least 8" id and more than 15 feet high or you will have draft problems no matter which boiler you choose.

-Don

I’m located in Central NY. I plan on putting the boiler in the basement close to the walk out. I don’t mind filling a hopper. But the thought of auto feed is nice. A chimney has been thought of. Thanks for the input!!

Phil May
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 700
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Liesure Line

Post by Phil May » Mon. Feb. 18, 2019 7:05 pm

The new DS boiler looks impressive. Go with an underfeed if it is in your budget. EFM 520 would handle your needs.

Redkeck

Post by Redkeck » Sun. Mar. 03, 2019 5:13 pm

Phil May wrote:
Mon. Feb. 18, 2019 7:05 pm
The new DS boiler looks impressive. Go with an underfeed if it is in your budget. EFM 520 would handle your needs.

I have a DS dealer 20 minutes from me. I went down Friday and spoke with the guy. He has installed 8 in the past few years with zero complaints. He is going to set up a visit to see one in action. I really like how the domestic hot water is set up on them with the flange. No bolts to break, drill or tap. Priced at $7100 cash and carry.

David...
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks 80k output
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507B
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by David... » Sun. Mar. 03, 2019 5:37 pm

I have a hand fed boiler and one of my zones is staple up radiant. As has been said using a mixing valve can get you the appropriate water temperature.
Filling a hopper may be OK now, but could be less desirable as you get older.

David

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Sun. Mar. 03, 2019 5:49 pm

DS stoker boilers are auger-fed, no hopper involved if you feed from bulk bin. Shoveling into a hand-fed boiler might be less desirable as you age as well.

Redkeck

Post by Redkeck » Sun. Mar. 03, 2019 7:27 pm

CoalJockey wrote:
Sun. Mar. 03, 2019 5:49 pm
DS stoker boilers are auger-fed, no hopper involved if you feed from bulk bin. Shoveling into a hand-fed boiler might be less desirable as you age as well.
Agreed. I’ve done hand fed with wood/coal. Pain in the ass. Your tied to it every 12 hours. I would do a outdoor wood boiler. I have plenty of wood. 55 acres. But I do go out of town for work from time to time. Auger fed is the way to go.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Sun. Mar. 03, 2019 7:42 pm

i should run and get one of those ds stoker boilers....i was quoted way less.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Mar. 03, 2019 9:19 pm

For Sure *lincolnmania*, run don't walk!!!

Redkeck

Post by Redkeck » Mon. Mar. 04, 2019 7:19 am

Well, what are you quoted?? Negotiation is the key to any deal.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”