Ash quantity question??

Kungur

Post by Kungur » Thu. Feb. 14, 2019 3:01 pm

As I read a few different posts , especially those pertaining to AA &EFM boilers, I get the sense that the amount of ash is considerably less than my KA2 produces. I read statements about emptying the ash every few days or something to that effect.
I will empty my tub,4.5 gallon, sometimes 2x's a day?
So is it the quality of the the rice coal or am I seriously doing something wrong?
Thanks!

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Thu. Feb. 14, 2019 3:07 pm

Kungur wrote:
Thu. Feb. 14, 2019 3:01 pm
As I read a few different posts , especially those pertaining to AA &EFM boilers, I get the sense that the amount of ash is considerably less than my KA2 produces. I read statements about emptying the ash every few days or something to that effect.
So is it the quality of the the rice coal or am I seriously doing something wrong?
Thanks!
Those big square tubs they use hold 4, maybe 5 times the ash of yours. Even my bushel can holds twice what yours holds. Weigh your ash. If it's between 15 to 20 percent of the coal, your likely doing fine

KAA-4 ash percentage

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Thu. Feb. 14, 2019 6:58 pm

If your ashes look pretty normal, chances are good hat they are 15% to 18% of the coal you are putting in. Weigh the coal going in, weigh the ash coming out then calculate the percentage.

It sounds more like your problem is you use a very, very small ash pan. A bushel pan holds about 9 gallons if I remember correctly. I use the biggest pan I can fit in there. On the Axeman 130M I use slightly, re-bent number 2 ash pans. These easily hold more than twice as much as a bushel pan. On the VA-600 I use number 3 ash pans.

My theory is, why have an automatic coal feeder if you have to tend it every day?

-Don

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Sun. Feb. 17, 2019 1:38 pm

I have switched from a rice buck mix to straight buckwheat coal this past week for my kaa-4-1

My hold fire times are longer but not having outfires with the longer hold fire times is worth it for me.

Your three bed stoker is the same size as mine and if I remember right you have the secondary fan which I do not have.

I no longer use my domestic coil; thank you keystoker, as it has a leak that will flood my steel compression tank and I ended up with no heat, shutting it off has solved those issues.

I use four 4 gallon pails for my ash. I have the stoker set at 10-14 threads out depending on the weather.

I would back your stoker off to 14 threads and go from there as I am able to get 18-24 hours of use for one 4 gallon ash pail.

The slower you feed the coal the finer the ash becomes as it travels across the flat fire grates as it has more time to burn the coal.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Feb. 17, 2019 1:42 pm

Kungur wrote:
Thu. Feb. 14, 2019 3:01 pm
Thanks!
The answer is...it depends!

On average, 150 lbs burned gives me one full bushel tub worth of ashes. This year I am burning some nice coal that is about 175 lbs to 1 tub of ash. 4-5 years ago I had some coal that created lots of fluffy ashes, and it would fill the tubs up faster.

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Sun. Feb. 17, 2019 1:44 pm

Wheres Sting when we need him??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????/

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sun. Feb. 17, 2019 3:16 pm

My ash tubs are on the order of 15-16 gallons. After burning about 300 lbs. of coal they are roughly 2/3 full.

Sting
Other Heating: OBSO Lennox Pulse "Air Scorcher" burning NG

Post by Sting » Sun. Mar. 03, 2019 9:43 pm

lzaharis wrote:
Sun. Feb. 17, 2019 1:44 pm
Wheres Sting when we need him??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????/
And the other correct answer to the question above is: "Ill get back to you on that"

Kind Regards
Sting :D

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”