Series hookup for Buderus oil fired hot water baseboard and Keystoker KA-6

Bones101
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Bones101 » Mon. Jan. 28, 2019 8:05 am

I’ve read dozens or hundreds of of posts, honestly, I can’t keep track. Anyway, I have an oil fired hot water baseboard system and I want to attach a Keystoker KA-6 boiler to it. My oil set up is fantastic and I need to keep it in place when I am out of town and can’t supply the coal furnace. The series set up is most convenient for me. I was reading the several posts and I am confident I can plumb and wire the systems effectively once put in the right direction. My oil system is set up with 3 zones each independent circulators on the return side to the oil furnace. Supply side is set up with expansion tank with flow valves etc. I have read 2 scenarios, first is 2 tees close together on the return side of the oil boiler, pipe 1 to the return side of the coal boiler and then the coal boiler back to the second tee on the return side of the coal boiler with a flow check valve in the first line. I then read another where the return on the oil boiler has a tee and piped to the return of coal boiler and the supply of of the oil boiler is tapped into and piped into the supply of the coal boiler. Again, Am I confusing parallel with series? I was hoping for a SERIES schematic / a few pictures to work with and specifics like recommended valve, tee positions etc. Any posts would be appreciated.

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Mon. Jan. 28, 2019 8:17 am

Page 24. Just add ball valves on the lines running to the coal boiler and one in the main return between where the coal supply and return connect

Attachments

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Jan. 28, 2019 8:53 am

Please post a picture of the existing piping.

lprince
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon 2000

Post by lprince » Mon. Jan. 28, 2019 8:55 am

I just installed an AA260 and tied it in to my existing oil boiler for the same reasons you described. This is how I did it.
boiler pipping.JPG
.JPG | 95.1KB | boiler pipping.JPG
I have an aquastat in my oil boiler that is set above the set point of the boilers triple aquastat and that is wired to the T terminals on my stoker. So when the oil boiler drops to 165 it starts the circulator on the stoker and maintains the oil boiler temperature

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Tue. Jan. 29, 2019 10:36 am

Do you have 2 separate chimneys that you can use? the National Plumbing Code does not allow 2 heating appliances to share the same chimney.

You should invest in three books about hydronic heating long before you wade into this, they are:

CLASSIC HYDRONICS, PUMPING AWAY and HOW COME. these three paperback books provide you with over 4 decades of plumbing knowledge as it relates to hydronic heating and how the "Dead Men" designed and perfected hydronic heating following the law of thermodynamics and the laws of gasses to create our ways of heating with hot water and steam and UGH scorched air.

You can purchase them directly from the author at www.dansbooks.com or through the www.heatinghelp.com
home page in the bookstore section.

I have sent you a PM.

Bones101
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Bones101 » Thu. Jan. 31, 2019 1:26 am

Izaharis, the PM did not go through.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Thu. Jan. 31, 2019 7:31 pm

Bones101 wrote:
Mon. Jan. 28, 2019 8:05 am
Again, Am I confusing parallel with series? I was hoping for a SERIES schematic / a few pictures to work with and specifics like recommended valve, tee positions etc. Any posts would be appreciated.
Series is pretty simple but, in series you have to heat the oil boiler before you heat your house. This will use a little more fuel.

Parallel means you use one boiler or the other.

-Don

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Jan. 31, 2019 7:44 pm

This would be pretty simple if you would just post a picture of your existing piping, or a diagram.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”