Amount of coal being used by a coal gun s130

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sun. Jan. 20, 2019 11:48 am

I spoke with an AHS technician perhaps 2-3 years ago about lowering the ashing temperature until the fire went into the hopper, and he stated that in all the years this boiler has been made (since 1976 perhaps) he could only recall a single time (sans for a few people who have forgotten to turn their ashing motor on) when that happened. And the specific circumstance was a chimney with such tremendous draft that it held the flapper closed even when the fan was off. It was therefore unrelated to the ashing set point temperature. If you set the ashing temperature at 70 degrees it will assuredly happen, but at 100 or higher it is not very likely.

Ttkrouse

Post by Ttkrouse » Sun. Feb. 10, 2019 12:25 pm

Isayre I set ashing temp at 120* and hysteris at 2* puff backs have stopped. I also had a thin washer on the bottom of the flapper about 1/16 th inch to let even more air over the fire I removed the washer still no puff backs. I don't know if I should try closing the sight hole and see if it puffs or leave it be ? Coal consumption is back to around 52 LBS which is good. And it was below zero here for 5 days .

Ttkrouse

Post by Ttkrouse » Sat. Mar. 16, 2019 5:13 pm

Had one big puff back Wednesday but it was 65' outside. I lowered my ashing temp to 105' and hysteris is at 1'. I'am creeping up on your 100' setting Larry never thought I would get this low. When fans done running the entire fire box is orange but has not creeped up into coal hopper .

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sat. Mar. 16, 2019 5:21 pm

Ttkrouse wrote:
Sat. Mar. 16, 2019 5:13 pm
Had one big puff back Wednesday but it was 65' outside. I lowered my ashing temp to 105' and hysteris is at 1'. I'am creeping up on your 100' setting Larry never thought I would get this low. When fans done running the entire fire box is orange but has not creeped up into coal hopper .
You're getting there! :)

Oddly enough, most of the puff-backs I've experienced have happened during times when the weather transitions from cold to warm, or visa-versa.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”