Axeman Anderson 260 not feeding coal

mikeandgerry
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson Anthratube 130-M

Post by mikeandgerry » Thu. Jan. 24, 2019 12:25 am

amernestle wrote:
Wed. Jan. 16, 2019 7:41 am
Noticed the other day after laying on the floor next to the unit that the grate doesn't appear to always be working as it should, it had come unhooked and a giant Boulder of ash was stuck in there. Got that all fixed up but is there any way to remedy the giant chunks.
Lsfarm, a coal-pail member, had a giant clinker (ash chunk) stuck in the fire pot that would not clear itself in the ashing process. It was causing him many performance problems. The issue was about ten years ago and is searchable in this forum. I’ll see if I can find the relevant link.

mikeandgerry

Post by mikeandgerry » Thu. Jan. 24, 2019 12:47 am

My AA 260M Boiler Is Constipated!!

The problem Lsfarm was having was also that the grate “steps” were so impacted with fine ash from many years of use that they could not “cut” ash properly and thus not enough fresh coal was being added to the fire. The fire looked good but had no mass and thus less heat. In the end of his ordeal he also discovered a large clinker contributing to this problem.

The solution was for him to let the fire die out cold, remove the ash grate “drawer”, clean the fine impacted ash off the “ steps”. In the process the clinker was also removed.

mikeandgerry

Post by mikeandgerry » Thu. Jan. 24, 2019 1:05 am

Btw, it’s a very long thread to read and the trouble shooting and final resolution took a long time but member “Mike” wrote this which sounds like one of your issues:

“the symptoms of your problem lead me to think that your grate (what you call the ash drawer) isn't reciprocating reliably (what AA calls "shaking") or your fire is burning rapidly without "shake" due to excessive draft. ”

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”