Help With Installation - Hot Exterior, No Base Insulation?

daluds
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by daluds » Fri. Jul. 04, 2008 1:11 am

Hello,

I have recently installed a DF-520, and need some assistance with excessive heat on the outside of the unit around the stoker when running the oil burner. I have the stoker mounted on the right side and oil burner on the left side. There is a rectangular area inside the base that is not insulated around the stoker opening. Its getting extremely hot on the exterior while running the oil burner. Does EFM provide additional insulation for the rectangular area around the stoker insert? I had to add some Kaowool in this area to keep the exterior from getting so hot. I can provide pictures.

The exterior insulation seems to cover only the top boiler. I'll have to take the covers off, and insulate the base too. Why doesn't EFM have this as part of the installation procedure?

Also, I have one part I have not installed. Its a brass fitting labeled I5376. Does anyone know what this is used for on the DF-520?

Thanks,

Dave

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Post by stoker-man » Fri. Jul. 04, 2008 6:55 am

There are 3 pieces of one-inch-thick insulation board that are installed in the base, onto the pins. Where are they?

Show me a picture of the brass fitting.

daluds

Post by daluds » Fri. Jul. 04, 2008 2:37 pm

Stoker-man,

Here is a picture of the area where it gets very hot, and I placed Kaowool to prevent excessive heat to transfer to the stoker side of the base. Its in the area where there is a rectangular cutout in the 1" insulating board:
photo010.jpg
.JPG | 62.2KB | photo010.jpg
Here is a picture of the spare part:
IMG_3153.jpg
.JPG | 1.3MB | IMG_3153.jpg
Thanks,

Dave

daluds

Post by daluds » Fri. Jul. 04, 2008 3:03 pm

Stoker-man,

EFM must have changed the design from the past since here is picture of the older design where there is insulating material right up to the boiler:

Attachments

IMG_0711.JPG
.JPG | 718KB | IMG_0711.JPG

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.

Post by stoker-man » Sat. Jul. 05, 2008 9:34 am

Daluds, I believe you are showing the insulation on the auger side, while the other picture is the stoker side. Let me check into this.

The brass plug is the air vent for your gear reducing unit on the stoker fan housing. With the stoker in its installed position, remove one of the allen head plugs on the top of the gearbox and install the air vent.

daluds

Post by daluds » Sat. Jul. 05, 2008 10:06 am

Stoker-man,

I posted 2 pictures, one of the new DF-520 where the stoker is inserted into the base (causing heat problem on exterior while running oil) and the other picture of the same view from a 20 year old DF-520. I am using the older unit as a reference during the installation of the new one, but there are some differences.

Thanks for the information on the air vent. I'll install this today.

Dave

daluds

Post by daluds » Sat. Jul. 05, 2008 10:30 am

Stoker-man,

You are right, it looks like I posted the wrong view of the old unit. It does look like a view of the worm side rather than the blower side. I'll have to ask the owner of the old unit to take a picture of the other side.

Thanks,

Dave

daluds

Post by daluds » Sat. Jul. 05, 2008 11:05 am

Stoker-man,

Do you know if I can purchase some of the 1" insulating foam from EFM, and cut it to fit where I have the kaowool?

Thanks,

Dave

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.

Post by stoker-man » Sat. Jul. 05, 2008 1:05 pm

Yes, you can buy insulation board. It's cheaper if you can pick it up. UPS shipping to a residence is probably $12 alone, our cost. There's nothing wrong with using kaowool either.

What I want to find out is since you have the oil burner flame going across towards the stoker, if that would cause your problem. It's the first time anybody has reported this problem to me, so I'm wondering if something is wrong with the air tube, or nozzle, since the oil burner is about 12 inches above the stoker and 40 inches away from it. Was the oil burner air to fuel ratio set up with a meter?

daluds

Post by daluds » Sat. Jul. 05, 2008 1:48 pm

Stoker-man,

The high temperature on the side panel was found during the burner setup from a cold start to 140 degree cut off. Did a rough adjustment during this time, but haven't finished it yet with the meter. With the kaowool, and recently installed exterior insulation on the base the exterior blue panel is not hot to the touch any more. The end of the blower/stoker where it goes into the base gets really hot, but I would expect it too, and assume this is normal. I believe the burner is installed correctly with the supplied nozzle, etc.

Do you have a picture of where the brass air bleed goes in the gear box? Not sure which allen bolt to take out.

Thanks,

Dave

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.

Post by stoker-man » Sat. Jul. 05, 2008 5:49 pm

No, I don't a picture off hand. Any allen plug will do, as long as it's on the top surface of the installed stoker gearbox. I think there is only one, but it doesn't matter which one.

stoker-man
Verified Business Rep.

Post by stoker-man » Sun. Jul. 06, 2008 6:41 am

Correction. The oil burner tip is about 30 inches away from the stoker. However, even something as innocent as touching the tip of the nozzle and getting oil from your skin on the tip of the nozzle can cause a distortion in the flame pattern, sending the flame where it shouldn't go.

I remember in school how strongly it was emphasized that we never touch the tip or the filter of the nozzle. It is held only by the brass circumference.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”