coal pipe size

frank12
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm DF520 stoker boiler

Post by frank12 » Sun. Dec. 23, 2018 7:56 pm

I have a EFM model DF520 stoker boiler and would like to replace the coal pipe bin feed end that goes over the auger. Can anybody tell me;

1. The width (it looks like it's either 2 or 2 1/4 inch)
2, Length of pipe I need
3. Is the pipe a standard type? Can I go to my local plumbing store to buy it?
4. What is the substance I place between the pipe and the coupling?

Thanks for your help.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Mon. Dec. 24, 2018 9:15 am

On a 520 the bin and feed pipes are standard 2" schedule 40 pipe. The bin pipe is usually galvanized steel , but some people have used PVC because it's cheap and easy to cut. The PVC will work but it won't last as long as steel.

The length of the bin pipe is directly related to the length of your bin auger. You need to measure it. You want the bin pipe just long enough so that there are 1.5 to 2 auger flights sticking out the end.

I'm not aware of any "substance" between the coupler and the pipe. I would put a bead of caulk around each end of the pipe coulper though to keep the coal dust from leaking out.

-Don

frank12
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm DF520 stoker boiler

Post by frank12 » Mon. Dec. 24, 2018 10:22 am

Don, thanks for the information.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”