Suddenly Experiencing Puff-Backs in AHS S130 Coal Gun

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Sat. Jan. 12, 2019 12:08 pm

Mine doesn’t have much for fines... it is handled a lot less though probably being a TT load.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Jan. 12, 2019 4:26 pm

*Keepaneyeonit* (Barry) had that experience with stove size he picked up from Lehigh and was loaded with a FEL there off of a ground pile.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Jan. 12, 2019 4:47 pm

lsayre wrote:
Sat. Jan. 12, 2019 9:59 am
One thing I can report is that my load of Lehigh pea has leagues more dust and fines than I've ever experienced with Blaschak. A guess would be somewhere between 5 and 10 times more. Each shovel full is loaded with fines. The stuff looks like big rig trucks ran over it and pulverized it.
That is likely because it came from the stockpile, and not the sizing plant. I have always requested coal from the sizing plant, and it has always been free of fines. Your dealer should do the same.

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Sat. Jan. 12, 2019 5:56 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Sat. Jan. 12, 2019 4:47 pm
That is likely because it came from the stockpile, and not the sizing plant. I have always requested coal from the sizing plant, and it has always been free of fines. Your dealer should do the same.
I also request off the belt.

Our first load was very clean, pretty much zero fines... it came straight off the belt, had quite a bit of water in it though..

This second load came from the pile.. it was dry, but has some fines in it.. apparently the belt was down so they had to load from the pile..

You either pay for the water, or burn the fines..

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sat. Jan. 12, 2019 7:10 pm

hotblast1357 wrote:
Sat. Jan. 12, 2019 5:56 pm
You either pay for the water, or burn the fines..
Or go elsewhere for your coal.

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Sat. Jan. 12, 2019 7:47 pm

lsayre wrote:
Sat. Jan. 12, 2019 7:10 pm
Who else is gonna bring me a TT load?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Jan. 12, 2019 9:41 pm

lsayre wrote:
Sat. Jan. 12, 2019 7:10 pm
Larry, I would be surprised if Blaschak is any different. I understand your results, but you have a dealer handling the coal in between.

Maybe CoalJockey will add his 0.02, since he has been to most of the breakers.

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Sun. Jan. 13, 2019 7:57 am

You guys don’t have a brand problem (Blaschak, Lehigh, etc) so much as it is the way that it is being handled between the breaker and yourself. We have never loaded coal directly out of the breaker onto one of our trucks that was not top quality and free of fines. You cannot believe how intense the washing and screening process is and most of the time as the coal is being funneled from the storage pocket inside the breaker to the loading chute it is washed and screened one last time just as it goes over the sideboard of the truck. We NEVER buy anthracite coal loaded from a stockpile unless it is a dire emergency, thus ensuring we have a clean product coming to our yard. After the coal is dumped, it is not handled again until it is loaded for the end customer. Any fines created as the loader bucket scrapes over the blacktop are swept away by hand and removed as the loader works through the pile.

When coal is taken from the breaker to the bagger it is handled, and as it is bagged and stacked it is handled again. I’m sure things get shaken a bit as the tow-motor moves it in the warehouse and onto the truck for transport. If it goes to a dealer before it gets to you, it gets moved around and shaken again from one truck to another. Each time you do this you create action that can cause coal to become finer.

My whole point is that the more you handle it, the finer it becomes. It is not any fault of a particular brand of coal but different seams may also have different binding characteristics as well that may help to keep it together. This can vary from time to time within the same company depending on current mining and blending practices.

I read all the time on here of varying results from bagged coal as far as fines... some of you are able to do very well with it. The ones that do not from time to time I honestly believe it has nothing to do with the breaker that the coal came from.

If you can buy coal directly out of the breaker and have it delivered straight to you... if your property is the first place it hits the ground, you can be ensured you will be getting the highest quality load possible.

Sorry to write an essay but I have wanted to address that for months now... not intended to be at your expense Larry. :)

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Sun. Jan. 13, 2019 8:57 am

CoalJockey wrote:
Sun. Jan. 13, 2019 7:57 am
You guys don’t have a brand problem (Blaschak, Lehigh, etc) so much as it is the way that it is being handled between the breaker and yourself. We have never loaded coal directly out of the breaker onto one of our trucks that was not top quality and free of fines. You cannot believe how intense the washing and screening process is and most of the time as the coal is being funneled from the storage pocket inside the breaker to the loading chute it is washed and screened one last time just as it goes over the sideboard of the truck. We NEVER buy anthracite coal loaded from a stockpile unless it is a dire emergency, thus ensuring we have a clean product coming to our yard. After the coal is dumped, it is not handled again until it is loaded for the end customer. Any fines created as the loader bucket scrapes over the blacktop are swept away by hand and removed as the loader works through the pile.

When coal is taken from the breaker to the bagger it is handled, and as it is bagged and stacked it is handled again. I’m sure things get shaken a bit as the tow-motor moves it in the warehouse and onto the truck for transport. If it goes to a dealer before it gets to you, it gets moved around and shaken again from one truck to another. Each time you do this you create action that can cause coal to become finer.

My whole point is that the more you handle it, the finer it becomes. It is not any fault of a particular brand of coal but different seams may also have different binding characteristics as well that may help to keep it together. This can vary from time to time within the same company depending on current mining and blending practices.

I read all the time on here of varying results from bagged coal as far as fines... some of you are able to do very well with it. The ones that do not from time to time I honestly believe it has nothing to do with the breaker that the coal came from.

If you can buy coal directly out of the breaker and have it delivered straight to you... if your property is the first place it hits the ground, you can be ensured you will be getting the highest quality load possible.

Sorry to write an essay but I have wanted to address that for months now... not intended to be at your expense Larry. :)
Absolutely agree 100%. As I said in my earlier post, my first bulk load of pea from lehigh was perfect, it was straight off the processing plant belt.

Second one couldn’t come off the belt cuz it was down, so it was handled with the loader, and has some fines, no big deal for me, I don’t mind them, it all burns.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”