baseboard versus standing column radiaton

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Fri. Dec. 14, 2018 10:10 am

Here are my thoughts as a layperson about baseboard convectors BAD; versus standing hot water radiators GOOD;
I grew up with steam heating and in our second home and third homes we had scorched air and it was nothing but a dust blower. I hated it as the heat was never even and the floors were always cold.
Using standing column radiators will always provide much, much, more thermal mass from both the hot water in the heating loop and the cast iron radiators.

If I may quote licensed plumber Mark Eatherton from Colorado in his response about radiators in the fine homebuilding web page;
"Radiators deliver heat in the form of radiant energy. In other words, the energy from the radiator travels through the air without heating the air until it strikes a solid object. The object is warmed, which in turn warms the surrounding air.
A radiators primary function is affecting the rooms radiant temperature, or the average surface temperature of the surfaces surrounding your body

Nothing like drab rainy cold day to put a damper on things.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Dec. 14, 2018 10:44 am

A good compromise is cast iron baseboard. Rarely installed today, but it can be found in many 1950-1960s homes.

Radiant heat in the floor would be my choice if I ever build another house.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Fri. Dec. 14, 2018 11:12 am

I guess that Mark Eatherton guy knows what he is talking about. It seems like most people don't even understand the concept of radiant heat. It's not conduction and it's not convection, it's actually electromagnetic waves that are radiated out. These waves hit things in the room and transfer their heat into them.
IMG_0277.JPG
.JPG | 350.3KB | IMG_0277.JPG
IMG_0278.JPG
.JPG | 356.3KB | IMG_0278.JPG
Radiators look great too!

The other big thing that most people don't understand is, hot air systems deliver ZERO radiant heat. That's why hot air never feels warm when meeting a 72 degree set point. The third form of heat is totally missing.

-Don

Qtown1835
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker '81 KA4 (online 1/16/17)
Coal Size/Type: WAS Lehigh Rice (TBD)
Other Heating: EFM SPK600

Post by Qtown1835 » Fri. Dec. 14, 2018 2:15 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Fri. Dec. 14, 2018 10:44 am
A good compromise is cast iron baseboard. Rarely installed today, but it can be found in many 1950-1960s homes.

Radiant heat in the floor would be my choice if I ever build another house.
My house was built in '63. Main level is all 9" Baseray CI baseboard. I also have 2 upright rads in the basement im currently using a dump zone. I love my baseboard heat.

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Fri. Dec. 14, 2018 3:57 pm

StokerDon wrote:
Fri. Dec. 14, 2018 11:12 am

Radiators look great too!

-Don
Nice radiator collection Don!

Do you have any with the built in warming oven?

Paulie

ben
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350 with an S-20 pot (1966)
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by ben » Fri. Dec. 14, 2018 4:16 pm

I prefer radiators. I have 2 rooms that have cast iron radiators they are toasty and add a nice look to the room.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Fri. Dec. 14, 2018 4:32 pm

Pauliewog wrote:
Fri. Dec. 14, 2018 3:57 pm
Nice radiator collection Don!

Do you have any with the built in warming oven?

Paulie
Sorry, no I don't. I do have a nice corner radiator though.
IMG_0263.JPG
.JPG | 307.7KB | IMG_0263.JPG
IMG_0264.JPG
.JPG | 280.9KB | IMG_0264.JPG
-Don

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Fri. Dec. 14, 2018 9:42 pm

I've seen those radiators with the warming oven. Electromagnetic Waves? :-o
I vote for radiators.
IMG_8420.JPG
.JPG | 1MB | IMG_8420.JPG

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Sat. Dec. 15, 2018 8:25 am

The only way I have the work gloves dried is either park them on the windowsill of the entryway or tossing a herd of them in the drier with the cleaned work clothes where if I had a column radiator I would be able to dry out the boot liners , the work gloves and the coveralls when they get sopped with the heavy wet stuff.

Radiator covers are nice cat magnets as long as they have a bed there too.

The seasonal forecast does not look promising for the white stuff this winter which saves the stockpile of the magic black rocks.

The $550.00 grant we received from H.E.A.P. this year is certainly going to help stretch the heating dollars for us to buy 2 tons of the magic black rocks.

For the folks that are not familiar with H.E.A.P. you apply for it through the county office for the aging or other agency that manages it in your county and it is based on your gross monthly income and then they can determine the amount of grant money you will receive which is directly sent to the fuel supplier.
With someone living with SSDI or SS they examine that income and the automatic deductions from you SS for Medicare and secondary insurance and or if you qualify for MEDICAID and determine the dollar value of the H.E.A.P. grant that a household qualifies for.

Any little bit helps and I am so glad I kicked suburban to the curb anyway and I am glad I am supporting local coal miners as I was a hard rock miner for 22 years in my former work.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”