new boiler install

mof1964
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby

Post by mof1964 » Fri. Dec. 28, 2018 6:30 am

Izaharis, I agree the stacking is the not the greatest. My boys and a nephew did it while I was at work. I had laid the base layers and it was a pretty square and straight. I came home to find this but wasn't upset because I was just glad they got it in the basement for me. I really is only the very top that is concerning and I pulled some off of there last night and cut the bags open so they can dry a bit.
I will try your method of stacking for the next round. we are looking to buy a tractor trailer load and I believe that I can get 12 to 14 tons on the bagged coal in my basement boiler room. This is our first full year with bagged and so far the kids and wife seem to like it better - not as dusty/dirty as the loose coal when moving it around.

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Fri. Dec. 28, 2018 11:13 am

Hello Mof1964,

If you buy directly from the mine you could get 22+ tons of bagged rice coal so keep that in mind as trucking will be expensive.

It may be best to shop for trailer loads of bagged rice coal and checking with Centrailia Coal Sales should be on your to do list
to compare a delivered price per ton.

The other thing to keep in mind is you need to find a trucker or trucking company with a three wheel fork lift as I know the driver is not going to be willing to unload pallets.
========================================================================================================

There is no need to cut the Kimmels coal bags!!

All you need to do is set them up vertically and open them they will drain well due to the open weave polyester threads.

NOW; with the coal bag in front of you turn the bag around so the printing is in front and the blank side of the bag is facing you.

Second, grab the left corner and look for the sewing twine and take a safe jack knife that locks or a good pair of sharp scissors and pull the string out taut. Take the jack knife or scissors and cut the strings as close to the bag edge as you let the bag lean against you and the binding thread will release from the top of the bag.

SAVE THE Kimmels Coal bags!, they are great for storing the cold coal ash and you can save the string to tie the bag tops after you fill and tiwst the bags using a double millers knot on the bag.

Set the wet bags aside to dry and you will have a lot of coal to pour out each bag.

I average 10-12 gallons of dry ash per bag using my 4 gallon pails.

I would invest in at least 3-4 bushel baskets and keep them dry while they cool and then you can bag the ashes.

You can use a plastic grain scoop to fill the empty bags from the bushel baskets and shake the bag down to pack them full.

Go to a welding supply store and purchase a 4 pack of welding fume masks with the exhalation valve and the masks will last you a long time while bagging the ash and you can also benefit from them while using the lawn mower or weed wacker as they will not plug up from moisture.

mof1964
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby

Post by mof1964 » Fri. Dec. 28, 2018 12:40 pm

we had 14 tons delivered via as a partial truckload going to an Agway farm store earlier this fall. They delivered to my business and I have stored in my one building. that coal was a mix of rice and nut. I have a chubby and so does my father in law across the street. When the truck showed up I called my friends down the street who have a manufacturing facility and they came up with the tow motor and off loaded for us. I believe we paid $260 per 50 bag pallet that way. included the trucking.
but next year I'm gonna get a full truckload of the rice.
My oldest boy just got his drivers license so his job was to get the skids home from our shop and into the basement. it's only a little over a mile so they were able to get it all done in short order. I have 9 bushel tubs and when I have 5 or 6 full the kids set them on the back of my truck and I put in the dumpster at work.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”