Degrees of noise?

Kungur

Post by Kungur » Thu. Dec. 06, 2018 8:07 am

So I was watching Stoker Don's videos which are quite fascinating. To see these old units run is pretty neat.
But after watching I am not sure I would want the noise that seems to be part of the operation. The push bar stoker on my KA2 is quiet and the only noise is the little blower.
But those old units are best looking!

David...
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks 80k output
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507B
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by David... » Thu. Dec. 06, 2018 7:42 pm

I could listen to an EFM for hours. I don't care for the random sounds from the AA.

David

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Thu. Dec. 06, 2018 9:53 pm

One man's noise is another's music... I am attuned to hear the thermostat relays click on and off in my house, I hear the circulators (as quiet as they really are) come on, ramp up to meet delta T and ramp down when it is met. It's all part of the "machine running" that is my house. Yet I despise having a radio or TV on in the background as seems my wife is dependent on. An EFM or Axeman running would be a joy to my ears. But then I also like the smell of bit coal... :)

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Fri. Dec. 07, 2018 7:54 pm

The recordings of the Axeman Anderson don't really do it any Justus. The recording and whatever you are listening to it on, will emphasize the higher frequency components. That makes it sound more annoying. In person, it sounds very nice.

It might be time to re-live this Rob's thread about stoker loudness.
How loud is your stoker?
And the Youtube Playlist of all the stokers tested.

I think it would be great to add a Keystoker to this list. I would also like to get a Gentleman Janitor added since they are probably the quietest under fed stoker.

-Don

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Dec. 08, 2018 5:53 am

Unless I listen for it, I don't head my Axeman Anderson anymore. Other people do!

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. Dec. 08, 2018 6:20 am

My oil burner is noisier than my Axeman.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sat. Dec. 08, 2018 7:07 am

To me, the sound of the propane furnace kicking on is as loud & annoying as those National Anthem singers that make a 10 minute "look at me" production of the song with notes held for 1 minute. Even though I only run it in the shoulder months I notice it every time it kicks on and is motivation to light the stoker when I can't stand it any longer! :baby:

Kungur

Post by Kungur » Sat. Dec. 08, 2018 7:49 am

We are in the same boat regarding the gas furnace. My wife is more than ready for the KA2 to provide the cold weather heat!

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Mon. Dec. 10, 2018 12:03 am

When I had the Reillo oil burner in the KAA-4-1 It always sounded like a heavy truck on a road and you could hear it running 80 feet away in the house.

The Riello burner was in the Buderus Logana G205 boiler it made half the amount of noise as the boiler area surrounding the breech was insulated and the boilers access door had a thick layer of insulation between the skins of the boiler and the casting as well as the base of the boiler.
scrapping that boiler was another rookie mistake that I made when I bought the KAA-4-1 boiler.

I pulled the burner and set it aside and wire nutted and taped the hot and neutral leads and tied the BX cable back out of the way as I do not use it anymore and I have no oil in the tank anyway. By putting the burner port cover back on the boiler solved the issues with the oil fumes backing up in to the laundry room

The only real noise I have now is the blower motor and the dead ash falling in the buckets when they are empty.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”