Worm not feeding coal efm520

Pa-kid
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF 520
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading RFSD-04
Coal Size/Type: Rice anthacite
Other Heating: EFM oil/coal furnace DF520

Post by Pa-kid » Tue. Dec. 04, 2018 11:22 am

EDIT this problem has happened twice so it is intermittent... Oh and it seems like this issue only occurs when I hear the worm squeaking... not Every time it squeaks. Oh and seems only to squeak when the coal starts getting low. End of edit

This doesn't make a lot of sense and I'm going to try to reproduce the issue. Sometimes, the worm stops picking up coal. The drum ratchet and pawls are all working, I can hear The worm moving, but it stops feeding coal. I have to manually turn the driveshaft with the handle. Again , I'm going to carefully study the issue next time it happens and I realize, this issue is impossible so I'm missing something. Will update next time it happens but any thoughts in the meantime are appreciated. Side question. Should the Wilburt timer run 24/7 or should the timer only click on when the stoker is off?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Dec. 04, 2018 12:23 pm

Time for a good cleaning and examination of the parts. You could have a piece of large coal or rock causing a feed obstruction at the auger inlet, which would cause the auger to "run dry" and possibly squeak. You may also have an extremely worn auger, but that should be obvious when you inspect.

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Tue. Dec. 04, 2018 12:59 pm

Was the coal completely dry when you poured it in... Wet coal will cause issues from bridging to hardening the fines to concrete consistency. In addition to large coal and rocks, you could have pieces of wood or even cat turds... A stray cat my FIL took in likes the coal bin better than its litter box...

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Tue. Dec. 04, 2018 1:03 pm

Taking over the upkeep of a EFM Stoker will give you a few good lasting lessons in a hurry. Best to study hard and ask questions.

Take no short-cuts...it is pay now or pay later, and only you can determine how big the check you write will be. ;)

Dakotaguy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Efm 520 highboy
Coal Size/Type: Lots of rice from Lehigh
Other Heating: Pops 2010 df 520 stoker

Post by Dakotaguy » Tue. Dec. 04, 2018 7:58 pm

Be sure to check all of the feed pipes the coupler if it has one the pot bushing btw I'm willing to give you a hand if you need good luck

Pa-kid

Post by Pa-kid » Tue. Dec. 04, 2018 9:16 pm

U guys are really great. Rob, mcgeiver, nepa, thanks for the info and advice. I emptied the hopper and found several big chunks of coal right next to the worm. It was probably blocking the coal. I also fixed the squeak and Dakota, I will hold you to that. :) thx again fellas. I was looking at my manual and it says I should have a vent hole in the feeder tube at the top. I don’t see one, is that ok?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Dec. 04, 2018 9:31 pm

The vent holes in the pot auger pipe are not visible unless you remove the pipe.

Pa-kid

Post by Pa-kid » Tue. Dec. 04, 2018 10:19 pm

Ok just making sure. Thx rob

Pa-kid

Post by Pa-kid » Tue. Dec. 18, 2018 4:59 pm

Oh and again, should my wilburt timer motor run 24/7, should there be constant power to the timer or should it only get energized when the stoker is off? Actually, I think I just answered my own question. That wouldn’t make sense, it would need to be on all the time.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Tue. Dec. 18, 2018 6:40 pm

Pa-kid wrote:
Tue. Dec. 18, 2018 4:59 pm
Oh and again, should my wilburt timer motor run 24/7, should there be constant power to the timer or should it only get energized when the stoker is off? Actually, I think I just answered my own question. That wouldn’t make sense, it would need to be on all the time.
It's a clock, hot and neutral to the clock motor to run it 24/7. The hot runs through the switch to the stoker motor so the stoker runs for the amount of minutes selected by the timer.

If you are using a Honeywell triple aquastat, you could run the switch to the ZR terminal on the aquastat. This will keep the timer from running the stoker when the boiler temperature is over the HI LIMIT. This will keep the timer from overheating the boiler.

-Don

ben
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350 with an S-20 pot (1966)
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by ben » Tue. Dec. 18, 2018 8:58 pm

Check your bin auger. 2 years ago mine was rusted back and caused issues.
Be sure to make sure you have 2.5 flights of bin auger exposed. For less than $20.00 I replaced my bin pipe.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”