How to marry a duel system ?

Dave 1234
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1948 International boiler, EFM S-20 stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buck,

Post by Dave 1234 » Sat. Nov. 17, 2018 3:41 pm

So I know someone here must have done this before .

One of my wood burner friends has a big house with a hot water base board and combo radiant heat system.

On a heat call the wood boiler gets so overwhelmed that the oil boiler has a heat call to help out.

He wants to switch over to a coal boiler now.

The house is about 3400 sf , well insulated. Should we just add a boiler mate for the radiant part of the system and add a small circulator to maintain the boiler mate?

Looking for the simplest way ,so the two boiler's never see's a sudden drop in temperature , but the house is heated drama free.

Thanks Dave

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Sat. Nov. 17, 2018 7:25 pm

First things first,

Have a heat study done and then compare the cost of upgrading the homes efficiency "more" and decide if the return on the investment is faster for upgrading the insulation and windows and perhaps installing a new oil boiler.

There are too many variables for right now in this algebra problem to come to an immediate solution.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sat. Nov. 17, 2018 7:30 pm

So the wood boiler is removed in this case?
Replaced with a coal boiler in the house or where the wood eater sat?...
The high temp baseboard and lower temp radiant can coexist with out a boilermate...
Just need a temp reducing valve on the radiant zone...
That lowers the full temp boiler water down to what the radiant zone was designed for...
Much the same a DHW is tempered to 120* to help prevent scalding of flesh...

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Nov. 17, 2018 7:34 pm

I'm not quite sure where your go'in with this Dave, but the BoilerMate is only going to give you 30 or 40 thousand BTU. Maybe if you had 2 or 3 of them you could supply the whole house. You can sometimes find the on CraigsList cheap.

I think it's interesting that this wood boiler falls behind. To me, that would indicate a heavier than normal load or the wood boiler is too small.

So, what do you want to do? Stick a coal stoker in there with the oil and wood boilers?

-Don

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Nov. 17, 2018 8:19 pm

Dave, pipe the radiant zone with a primary/secondary arrangement, and use an aquastat to drop out the primary circulator if the boiler temperature gets too low.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”