AA130 blows air into ash bucket

Ctraffie
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Coal

Post by Ctraffie » Fri. Nov. 16, 2018 6:55 pm

It blows out the cone into the ash bucket . You can put your hand over it and feel it . Thinking of sticking steel wool in it to try get it working until i figure this out with some one more knowledgeable about it. This is my 5th year using this ...,

Ctraffie

Post by Ctraffie » Fri. Nov. 16, 2018 6:57 pm

But it does blow out the cone and that is the mystery...

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Fri. Nov. 16, 2018 6:59 pm

Wait.. so what’s the problem? It is going to blow some air out the cone, that’s how the flyash comes out...

Are you having troubles keeping he fire going or something??

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Fri. Nov. 16, 2018 7:00 pm

Hummm,,,

I have never checked to see it it blows out the cone on mine. It might be normal??

I'll go check.

-Don

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman

Post by StokerDon » Fri. Nov. 16, 2018 7:24 pm

I felt a little hot air coming out but I wouldn't call "blowing".
IMG_3594.JPG
.JPG | 407.7KB | IMG_3594.JPG
In your picture down into the cyclone separator, I can see the cone at the bottom but it's hard to tell if the Pope's Hat is there or not.

If you want to know for sure, I would just call Axeman Anderson themselves, 570-326-9114. They have been making these things since the 1940's and I am sure they have seen it all. I have found them to be extremely helpful and it doesn't matter if the unit is new or 70 years old, they will help you.

-Don

Ctraffie

Post by Ctraffie » Fri. Nov. 16, 2018 7:51 pm

Okay, to Don and the others trying to help me , I don’t have new high temp silicone so I’ll figure on getting some tomorrow and unbolt that pope hat part
I guess. The air is blowing so much at my ash bucket that I feel it will blow ash dust into basement...

Ctraffie

Post by Ctraffie » Fri. Nov. 16, 2018 7:52 pm

And because of all the air blowing out the cone , I can’t get the fire going again, at least with a torch and some small wood chunks ... got match light charcoal to try Saturday.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Nov. 16, 2018 9:21 pm

How many ton of coal do you burn in one season?

In 5 years have you removed the front plate to inspect that double pass swirl chamber?

You might get a surprise once you open and see what is in there.

Ctraffie

Post by Ctraffie » Fri. Nov. 16, 2018 9:51 pm

I only burn it from November until around March or so. But I bought it used , about 4 years I think he said. Can I just unbolt it and slide it towards the bearing box ? Is that far enough ? Does anyone know ? Thanks

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Nov. 16, 2018 10:38 pm

You can peek in but I wouldn't open it unless I had a new gasket.

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Fri. Nov. 16, 2018 11:10 pm

Ctraffie wrote:
Fri. Nov. 16, 2018 9:51 pm
Can I just unbolt it and slide it towards the bearing box ? Is that far enough ? Does anyone know ? Thanks
If your going that far, just un-bolt the 4 bearing box bolts and pull the whole thing off. That is the only way you can see in there and clean it out. Be careful not to damage the fan and some of the oil will come out of the bearing box if you don't drain it.
AA130
Also, be sure you have a new fan plate gasket and Hi Temp silicon.

-Don

Ctraffie

Post by Ctraffie » Sat. Nov. 17, 2018 8:59 am

Don, I don’t have a new blower gasket, I think I would have to order it from Axeman? And they probably not open on Saturday.? It looks like I would have to unmount the whole motor / fan box to pull it out ... I don’t know how long it would take to get the gasket .

Ctraffie

Post by Ctraffie » Sat. Nov. 17, 2018 9:02 am

Coaledsweat. I just replied to Don if you read that post... I don’t have a new gasket , so don’t think I want to unbolt it to peek in...,

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Nov. 17, 2018 9:11 am

Ctraffie wrote:
Sat. Nov. 17, 2018 8:59 am
Don, I don’t have a new blower gasket, I think I would have to order it from Axeman? And they probably not open on Saturday.? It looks like I would have to unmount the whole motor / fan box to pull it out ... I don’t know how long it would take to get the gasket .
I use regular flat stove gasket from the hardware store. Put down a bead of Hi-Temp silicon and lay the gasket on making two passes so there are two layers of gasket. It is described here.
AA130

Axeman is not open on Saturday.

The fan plate is harder to get off than the bearing box. Usually the fan plate bolts are rusted and it's just easier to cut them off and install new ones. The bearing box is supper easy, remove the fan belt and un-bolt the four mounting bolts.

-Don

Ctraffie

Post by Ctraffie » Sat. Nov. 17, 2018 9:47 pm

Well guys, I put steel wool in the bottom of that cone with a long screw through it to see if that works for now . Got it up back running with matchlight charcoal. The popes hat was fine , not rusted or anything, so we will see how it goes, I did not totally block the cone, so can see some light ash on that side of the ash bucket....

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”