coal consumption seems high

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Tue. Nov. 13, 2018 5:08 pm

Considering your settings and your setup I don't think that your usage is high. It's just about 1 ton a month.
(2) 5 gallon buckets per day is about 70 lbs. x 31 days is 2,170 lbs.

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Tue. Nov. 13, 2018 6:40 pm

Is there any way to not circulate through the old wood boiler??

Your heating almost 3400 sqft, plus DHW?

70 pounds per day is not bad unless it’s 50+ outside.

What’s your weather like?

It’s been in the low 20’s at night and low-mid 30’s here lately and I’m burning about 50 lbs per day, heating 2200 sqft with a remote boiler 100’ away.

DooHicky

Post by DooHicky » Tue. Nov. 13, 2018 8:14 pm

Yes plus DHW...not at this point....I have it done that way...for the just in case.....

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Nov. 13, 2018 8:36 pm

Most garages bleed a lot of heat, and I am sure yours is no exception. If you have the EFM set by the book, and the ashes look good, it is probably doing a fine job of making BTUs. The problem is the amount of heat you are losing to the garage, the ground, and the house itself. 3400 sq. feet of 1970's house is not a small load.

Having the wood boiler piped into the system is one thing, but you should at least be able to valve it off so it doesn't stay hot.

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Tue. Nov. 13, 2018 10:58 pm

Heat exchangers are pretty "dumb" they transfer heat to the lowest temp side. If the boiler is fired up and water circulates through it, the water is heated.

But if the water circulating through it is hot and the boiler is cold, heat comes out of the water. Some is lost to the environment, BUT...BUT...BUT...

If your FLUE in the inactive boiler is open, this heat can cause a hefty draft that sucks out...your hard-earned HEAT.

One of the reasons plumbing multiple boilers in parallel is preferred. If you cannot isolate the wood boiler, at least pull the stove pipe and plug it up. In emergency, it might take 10-15 mins to reattach the stove pipe.

Every bit helps, but I think this could be a pretty big thief ;)

DooHicky

Post by DooHicky » Wed. Nov. 14, 2018 5:20 am

I can always make changes for next year...I'll look at it as a learning year :-) and make changes before next heating season. Flue for wood boiler is blocked off, rerouting the plumbing to isolate the wood boiler would have been difficult...but not impossible..I will look into that for a future change

coaledfeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1982 efm df520
Coal Size/Type: Cornwall rice
Other Heating: VC winterwarm wood

Post by coaledfeat » Sat. Nov. 17, 2018 10:40 am

With the same heat loads my all oil usage was averaging 1000 gal, with an indoor wood boiler I went through most

of 10 cords of decent hard wood. Now a full load of coal is 8 tons, of wich one ton is left . This is for 5000 to 5500

degree days. The quality of coal varies from supplier to the next or even year to year. I would bypass the wood burner

as they loose a LOT of BTUs. If the burn times seem long you may need to run another tooth of feed. Keep a log of

temps,coal use and such to come to a normal usage. Love the warm floor!!!

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”