mof1964
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby

Post by mof1964 » Mon. Nov. 12, 2018 8:25 pm

new stoker pot pic 1.jpg
.JPG | 241.5KB | new stoker pot pic 1.jpg
new stoker pot pic 2.jpg
.JPG | 372.1KB | new stoker pot pic 2.jpg
working on a stoker that I picked up. I had planned to replace the gooseneck bushing when I saw the pot auger bushing was worn. I wasn't expecting to see this burned mess in the bottom of the pot.

wondering if the pot will be ok? can this mess be chipped of without damaging anything?

also, on the inside of the base there was what looked like to be insulation or some kind of fiber board held in place be a few nails with clips on them. I needed to switch the base side panels to switch auger pipe and stoker and when trying to loosen the board it just crumbled.

Do I need this board? my other 520 unit does not have or did not have anything in the base.

Thanks,
Mitch

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Mon. Nov. 12, 2018 8:38 pm

I don’t see a problem here, the grates are not cracked or warped. Looks like ash that fell out of the boiler as it was disassembled but who knows.

Put a new pot bushing in it now since you have it apart. If you are using those grates again you should at least re-pack it with some fire rope as I’m sure the old is disintegrated or close to it.

The insulation board in the base was provided for the dual-fuel units in an effort to keep more heat in the boiler due to the fire pattern of the oil gun. Your old one likely did not have it if it was a round door unit. If you are not going to use the dual fuel option then take it out if you like. If you plan to use the oil gun you need to have it.

mof1964
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby

Post by mof1964 » Mon. Nov. 12, 2018 8:51 pm

so the insulation board is needed to run the oil burner? I do plan to burn the oil burner.
do I need the exact same thing or can I get replacement board of some other kind? the previous owner gave me a piece of the insulation but it is not the proper sizing.

I do plan to put in a new gooseneck bushing. I can see that it's worn super thin and maybe even through at one spot. That black mess is hard as a rock. I chipped at it with a hammer and screwdriver. Probably not ash. I was thinking maybe the pot got too hot and melted something?

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”