Took my stoker apart!

Kungur

Post by Kungur » Sun. Nov. 11, 2018 7:14 am

My KA2 is not getting very hot. So here is the situation. I run it all year for water. I had it shut down for a number of weeks this summer while away and before start up did a good cleaning. Started it up in October for hot water and everything was normal and working fine.
This week I decided to turn on the radiant floor heat so I turned on the circulator pumps. Added the extra pins in the timer, I remove some for Summer, and increased the feed rate. Now it usually takes a while for all the water in the loops to come up to temp. But it has not happened yet. The boiler is limping along at about 130F.
*This morning I was looking everything over and I noticed that the feed mechanism,the pusher bar, is not moving very far back and forth?
Need your help!!
Thanks!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Nov. 11, 2018 7:53 am

I think these stokers use a plastic cam to move the feed mechanism? Could be worn, or something could be binding. Sounds like you need to shut down for a cleaning and inspection.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Nov. 11, 2018 8:39 am

Rob is right, this stoker should be one that is driven by a plastic cam. If you don't see anything else obviously loose, it's probably time to replace it.

The plastic cam and side screws are an over-fire safety device. If the fire gets to hot, they melt causing the stoker to push less coal. You should keep a spare cam and screws on hand so when this happens on a weekend you don't have to wait for Keystoker to open on Monday to get new ones.

-Don

Kungur

Post by Kungur » Mon. Nov. 12, 2018 2:19 pm

I disassembled the stoker mechanism on my KA2 today. Giving it good cleaning and hope to reassemble this evening.
It is moving freely now so a quick reread of the instructions and I will hope to have hot water!

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman

Post by StokerDon » Mon. Nov. 12, 2018 3:10 pm

Did you get a new cam and a spare?

I merged this with your post about the stoker not pushing enough. No need to have 2 threads about the same problem.

-Don

Kungur

Post by Kungur » Mon. Nov. 12, 2018 5:41 pm

The cam looks okay. But I do have a spare. I am going bto reassemble and watch it without any coal.
Will post an update.

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Mon. Nov. 12, 2018 5:56 pm

Good! Now I am curious, if it's not the cam, what is it?

-Don

Kungur

Post by Kungur » Mon. Nov. 12, 2018 7:14 pm

It appears there were lots of fines that had jammed up the slide mech. I ran it without any coal and it works. I will start it up in the morning.

Kungur

Post by Kungur » Tue. Nov. 13, 2018 11:34 am

Started it up this morning and all is well! It appears those "fines" can be a real problem. I will keep a close eye on the mechanism from now on.
After 8 years you would think I would have everything figured out!

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”