can of worms,,, but i got to ask this question

BodyshopPat
Stoker Coal Boiler: S260 COALGUN-(thanks Dave1234)
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yorker WC-130/on rice/80gal storage
Hand Fed Coal Stove: THERMO-PRIDE WC 27-- 1980 MODEL
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: modified CLAYTON 1802G WITH STAINLESS COILS
Coal Size/Type: PEA AND RICE -LUMP SLACK AND VARIOUS SIZES OF BITUMINOUS
Other Heating: RINNAI TANKLESS LP - AND HEAT PUMP

Post by BodyshopPat » Sun. Nov. 11, 2018 9:08 am

I value the opinions of the members of this forum... I ventured into this boiler scene from warm air to buying a used new Yorker wc130 using bit coal to actually trying some anthracite in bagged form. I love that anthracite and with the wc 130 up for sale, I plan to buy a stoker boiler. my needs are 4000 to 5000 ft of well insulated dwelling with radiant and water to air coils. I have bought up about 2 years supply of rice bagged from Lowes at a decent price and I plan on buying a bulk load next year. Now, what to buy,?,, whats out there that will work for me? AA 220 , coal gun, efm , keystoker, ect,, I cant find a lot of write ups on the AA 220 but someone posted a picture of the firebox and it was a work of art,, not much info on their site at ll. Help!!!!!!!!!!!! I am all ears, I want to make a good choice, I need about 200 k btu unit, since my 130 is a little small for my needs, it was a test platform for me anyway, its up for sale now. still in operation too.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Nov. 11, 2018 9:13 am

The old debate over Chevy, Ford or Ram...

EXCEPT: Be aware of over and under stated horsepower ratings with these rigs..

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Nov. 11, 2018 9:45 am

You need to be a little careful when reading New vs. Old stoker boiler specs there B.P.

If you have a good idea that your heating load is around 200,000 BTUH and you are looking at a newly designed coal stoker boiler, they typically do not have all the reserve heating capacity of an old school coal stoker boiler.

Lets quickly look at 2 examples.

LL AA220 - The "220" means the BUTH input to the boiler is 220,000 BTU. Theoretically that is about 18 pounds per hour. Using 12,000 BTUH per pound of Anthracite = 216,000BTU. Compensating for 10% junk in the coal gives you 194,400BTU. Assuming 80% boiler efficiency gives us grand total of 155,520 BTUH as a maximum available from the boiler under ideal conditions.

EFM 520 - Rated at about 150,000 BUTH. Input to the boiler at 8 teeth on Rice coal is theoretically about 20 pounds per hour. Using 12,000 BTUH per pound of Anthracite = 240,000BTU. Compensating for 10% junk in the coal gives you 216,000BTU. Assuming 80% boiler efficiency gives us grand total of 172,800 BTUH as a maximum available from the boiler under ideal conditions.

So as you can see, on paper;

The New AA220 rated at 220,000BTUH can only be expected to deliver a maximum of 155,520BTUH to you heating load.

The Old EFM rated at 150,000BTUH can be expected to deliver 172.800BTUH to your heating load.

I am not a heating professional and the above advice is given to help you understand the process of boiler selection as I understand it.

-Don

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Sun. Nov. 11, 2018 10:38 am

First step is a HeatLoad calculation. Here is one site: http://www.heatload.com/

I suggest doing one room at a time and recording those values, then put it all together on a blueprint/layout of your place.

I used that to work out the amount of radiation I needed to deliver in each room. It's also a great way to identify which areas need "attention" (ie insulation, windows, etc).

Then you can confidently shop by BTU output ;)

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”