Dual Fuel EFM DF 520

Becker

Post by Becker » Thu. Nov. 01, 2018 4:50 pm

Hi, I have an EFM DF520 coal stoker with a Beckett AFG oil burner as my duel fuel option. Does anyone know if I can replace that oil gun with a propane gun/burner? Thanks.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Thu. Nov. 01, 2018 7:34 pm

Welcome to the forum.

I've never heard of anyone doing that but I'm pretty sure a propane burner is not shaped like an oil gun so, would it fit? If it fits, it might work.

You could always call EFM and ask.

-Don

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Nov. 01, 2018 7:37 pm

Welcome. There are plenty of oil boilers that have been retrofitted with gas burners, so I don't see any reason you could not do this. I suspect EFM will tell you they do not support this due to liability reasons, but that doesn't mean it can't be done safely.

Carlin EZ-Gas is one of the popular burners for this type of application - my Uncle works for a propane company and installed one of these burners on his Weil McLain oil boiler about 10 years ago. Riello also makes a nice gas burner for retrofit applications.

A good gas man should be able to get you setup. In addition to the burner itself, you will need a double acting barometric damper, and a vent spill switch.

Becker

Post by Becker » Fri. Nov. 02, 2018 4:38 pm

Thanks for the replies. I will have to do some more research and find a good gas man. Unfortunately, natural gas is unavailable in my area despite recent promises.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Nov. 02, 2018 7:06 pm

Just curious - if you already have a functional oil system, why are you looking to switch to propane?

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Sat. Nov. 03, 2018 5:08 am

There are people who use their DF's oil burner for primary source heat instead of backup. It is horribly inefficient by today's standards. Can't see where it would be better with gas. A wall hung on-demand unit tied in with your DF would be a way better option.

David...
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks 80k output
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507B
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by David... » Sat. Nov. 03, 2018 8:42 am

There is a lot of moisture in the flue gas from propane and natural gas. Moisture and coal ash are a bad mix. That's the only reason I can think not to do it.

DAvid

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Nov. 03, 2018 10:48 am

Scottscoaled wrote:
Sat. Nov. 03, 2018 5:08 am
There are people who use their DF's oil burner for primary source heat instead of backup. It is horribly inefficient by today's standards. Can't see where it would be better with gas. A wall hung on-demand unit tied in with your DF would be a way better option.
I like your electric boiler idea the best.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”