Socks vs bare feet

ShawnTRD
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA6 (New in April 2014)
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Rice
Other Heating: Weil Mclain WGO-2 (Net 75k BTU)

Post by ShawnTRD » Tue. Oct. 30, 2018 6:56 pm

Part 3 years I've kept the house around 71 or 72. Doing so I burn around 5 ton. For that comfort level I don't think I can complain. But what might I save if I keep the house at 67-68?
One ton for the year at $280 would not make it worth it to me.
Last year I tried keeping the house at 68 from like 10pm- 3pm and maybe 70 from 3pm-10pm but didn't see any daily savings.

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Tue. Oct. 30, 2018 7:13 pm

Ahh the good ole debate of set back temperate savings!!

Barometric dampener or MPD?! Lmao

I have my place set at 69 from 7am to 5pm, then 72 from 5pm to 7am.

Only because if I come home and want to do something I prefer it cooler in the house, easier to heat the place up then cool it down.

I thought the thread was going to be, had forced hot air heat, now I have radiant in floor heat!

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Tue. Oct. 30, 2018 7:18 pm

I think that's really why most of us burn coal. If we arn't worried about the heating bill when it's 20 degrees outside and your wearing shorts, Tee shirt and flip flops, it's a good day.

-Don

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Tue. Oct. 30, 2018 7:34 pm

Sub-tropical temps here. 77-78 degrees, It's not cold enough for Tropical temps yet 79 plus.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Oct. 30, 2018 8:20 pm

ShawnTRD wrote:
Tue. Oct. 30, 2018 6:56 pm
Part 3 years I've kept the house around 71 or 72. Doing so I burn around 5 ton. For that comfort level I don't think I can complain. But what might I save if I keep the house at 67-68?
You would save about 50 dollars worth of coal.

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Tue. Oct. 30, 2018 8:25 pm

It is set 74 to 75 degrees always. My recliner is right beside one of the cast iron radiators and I love it. Boiler is in the basement so the floors are always warm.

The problem for me occurs when visiting friends and extended family at their homes in the Winter... the dreaded ones who keep at 68. It pisses me off to sit there drinking coffee with a flannel on and feet freezing thinking what a pansy I am.

Sorry guys but I am with MB on this one, if Brittany would let me it would be a few degrees more. When you are out in single digits with the wind blowing you out over the hillside all day it is very exciting to come home to a nice warm house.

Not to mention this would be one hell of a poor coal yard if we were not able to stay warm.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Oct. 30, 2018 8:52 pm

Yep, we did the sweatshirts, flannels, cold hands, feet and noses with propain. I never wanna do that again lol. I got one of these fancy thermostats recently that lets you program a schedule. At first I had it going back and forth, 72 at night, 73 during the day. I changed it to 73 degrees 24/7. I didn't like the under/over shoots. It's either at least 73 or warmer.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Wed. Oct. 31, 2018 5:27 am

ShawnTRD wrote:
Tue. Oct. 30, 2018 6:56 pm
Last year I tried keeping the house at 68 from like 10pm- 3pm and maybe 70 from 3pm-10pm but didn't see any daily savings.
A few years ago I generated this simple spreadsheet to compute savings and loss from changing T-Stat settings. Yellow is for data input. Orange is the computed output. Enjoy
T_Stat_VS_Coal_Usage.xlsx
.XLSX | 7.4KB | T_Stat_VS_Coal_Usage.xlsx

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Oct. 31, 2018 6:12 am

CoalJockey wrote:
Tue. Oct. 30, 2018 8:25 pm
Boiler is in the basement so the floors are always warm.

The problem for me occurs when visiting friends and extended family at their homes in the Winter... the dreaded ones who keep at 68.
Warm floors are a big part of the equation. You can get away with a lower room temperature if the floors are warm, and still be comfortable.

When Andrea and I have to visit one of those houses kept in the 60's we dress warm and don't stay long. Last winter we were at one that was cold enough to make the kids complain and want to go home.

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.

Post by CoalJockey » Wed. Oct. 31, 2018 6:26 am

I also plan to assassinate some more draft areas soon Rob like you and I talked. We are paying off the previous house and mortgaging for this one and I added a little extra for an insulated door at the back porch where currently there is only a bi-fold with a heavy curtain. I loose a lot of heat right there.

Closing off the basement vestibule with a door is on the docket as well as two new windows there but I may wait awhile on the windows. Will need to add a cold air pipe for the stoker in that event, it will be too tight.

It will be a few years but mark my words, this place will eventually be draft-free.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Wed. Oct. 31, 2018 9:32 pm

Look no further than here to find your local "annual" HDD's (Heating Degree Days), which are required of the spreadsheet. Subtract from the "annual" total the monthly HDD's for any months for which you are not heating with coal.

https://www.huduser.gov/portal/resources/UtilityM ... l/hdd.html

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Oct. 31, 2018 9:49 pm

It will be a few years but mark my words, this place will eventually be draft-free.
and the Warm Mornings will nowhere to make up air and you will die of CO poisoning. :D

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Oct. 31, 2018 10:12 pm

If its under 75 my nips get hard.

I dont know how anyone can sit in a 70 degree or under house. Why go to the extra work of burning solid fuels and not be warm?

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.

Post by CoalJockey » Wed. Oct. 31, 2018 10:14 pm

Well one Warm Morning keeps the Scalehouse at a survivable temperature (80-90) and the other went out of service when we left the old house to come down here. It would still be in operation but I have no chimney to put it in so it sits idle in storage awaiting duty again one fine day.

And did you miss where I stated there will be a cold air vent to the outside for the stoker boiler? When I say “draft-free” that is of course using the word rather loosely. These 200 year old barns just don’t seal like a drum anyhow.

If I’m gonna get out of here I would choose something a little more exciting than going to bed one night and not waking up again. Something like hitting Mach 3 while riding in the passenger seat of a coalnewbie-driven Mustang as an EV runs out of charge and dies in the intersection ahead with no warning. As coalnewbie stomps the binders with both feet but it was no use... my young and youthful life just flashed before my very eyes.

Oh the humanity :lol:

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Thu. Nov. 01, 2018 5:44 am

lsayre wrote:
Wed. Oct. 31, 2018 9:32 pm
Look no further than here to find your local "annual" HDD's (Heating Degree Days), which are required of the spreadsheet. Subtract from the "annual" total the monthly HDD's for any months for which you are not heating with coal.

https://www.huduser.gov/portal/resources/UtilityM ... l/hdd.html
When is that data from? Is just updated every year?

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”