Efm 520 learning curve

DooHicky

Post by DooHicky » Tue. Oct. 30, 2018 8:20 am

Soo...how long does it really take to get the hang of this unit?

I tried setting it to show a dark ring in the center of the pot...but that seemed to let too much unburnt coal in the ash pan. I was 4 on feed and 4 on air and I thought that was almost perfect... except that the ash ring was fractured...or am I reading too much?

I did order an intermatic C8865, hopefully this will help on these warmer days.

Thanks

Mike

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Tue. Oct. 30, 2018 8:32 am

Last heating season I ran 5 teeth and 4.5 air. Ran fine, great ash ring, virtually no unburnt coal, etc. This year I set it to 4 teeth and 4 air. So far so good. However my friend StokerDon who is much more scientific about these matters says I won't burn any less coal. But either way it's not a boiler that requires micro-managing. It's a reliable workhorse that only asks for coal in the bin, empty the ashes, provide an adequate chimney and supply enough combustion air to burn.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Oct. 30, 2018 8:33 am

You will not see the dark spot in the center unless you run at 5 teeth or more, and the stoker runs for a long time. Forget about it, and just look at the ash ring when through stoker has been running for at least 30 minutes.

4/4 will get you very close. Sometimes a little more air is needed, depending on the coal. If you see the fire creeping on the ash ring, increase the air by 1/4.

DooHicky

Post by DooHicky » Tue. Oct. 30, 2018 8:36 am

Ahhhh....okie dokie :-)

DooHicky

Post by DooHicky » Tue. Oct. 30, 2018 8:44 am

I'll be playing plumber for my buddy..he found a 1988 DF520 that we're putting in for him. I have to admit...mine that was made in 1955 has a much better base :-)

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Oct. 30, 2018 11:54 am

coalkirk wrote:
Tue. Oct. 30, 2018 8:32 am
Last heating season I ran 5 teeth and 4.5 air. Ran fine, great ash ring, virtually no unburnt coal, etc. This year I set it to 4 teeth and 4 air. So far so good. However my friend StokerDon who is much more scientific about these matters says I won't burn any less coal. But either way it's not a boiler that requires micro-managing. It's a reliable workhorse that only asks for coal in the bin, empty the ashes, provide an adequate chimney and supply enough combustion air to burn.
During the heating season I would agree with Don, there is not a measureable difference in coal consumption between 4 and 5 teeth until the stoker is running a LOT.

With that said, when the boiler sits idle most of the time running on the timer, it will have less of a tendency to hit through high limit on 4 teeth.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”