Run times

DooHicky

Post by DooHicky » Fri. Oct. 26, 2018 11:05 am

First time user..as some already know...what can I expect as average run times. I know...loaded question, too many factors to consider outside temp...heat load...just to name 2...

I have this unit in series with my wood boiler(pics tonight ...ps..wood boiler is not going to have fire in it) with the circulating pump running 24/7 to the house. To start I have it on 3 teeth and the corresponding air setting. I have NOT purchased a timer ...yet...I believe I need to ...or not thus my question about run times. Since it is my first time and I didn't want it to go out...I increased my low limit to 155/160... In theory...if my settings are too low the unit will run constant..which is not optimal..correct?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Last edited by DooHicky on Fri. Oct. 26, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Oct. 26, 2018 11:13 am

Whatcha running there, partner?

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Fri. Oct. 26, 2018 12:05 pm

DooHicky wrote:
Fri. Oct. 26, 2018 11:05 am
To start I have it on 3 teeth and the corresponding air setting.
No, do not use 3 teeth. Set it to 4 teeth and 4.5 air at first. Since your heating another boiler you will likely need to go to 5 teeth but 4 is where you start.
DooHicky wrote:
Fri. Oct. 26, 2018 11:05 am
Since it is my first time and I didn't want it to go out...I increased my low limit to 155/160... In theory...if my settings are too low the unit will run constant..which is not optimal..correct?
Wrong, it will NOT run constantly because your LO Limit is to low. EFM recommends LO = 160 HI = 200, but you are probably NOT using a thermostat, Right?. If not, set the LO to 180.

-Don

DooHicky

Post by DooHicky » Fri. Oct. 26, 2018 12:19 pm

EFM 520 btw.

WOW...those seem to be high temps Don.

My fear is the fire going out...how long can it set before it can't reignite?.

That is correct..I am not using a tstat...only concern is water jacket temp..because i circulate the water 24/7...so the Honeywell on it does everything that I want it to do.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman

Post by StokerDon » Fri. Oct. 26, 2018 12:35 pm

If you are not running a thermostat into the triple aquastat, you are just using the LO Limit. Set it to 180, that is not too high, that is as normal as it gets with stoker boilers in Hydronic systems.

If you run it at 180 and run the pump through your house loop 24/7, it should run perfectly. When it gets cold enough for the stoker to run for more that 30 minutes at a time, you can check to see if you 1 to 2 inches of ash on the ash ring.

-Don

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Fri. Oct. 26, 2018 1:50 pm

A couple other points to mention are, if you are not going to use the wood boiler, disconnect the stove pipe. Since the wood boiler will be hot, the chimney will suck the heat out of it if left connected.

If you have a good chimney draft on the EFM, and since you are pumping 24/7, you may get lucky and not need a timer. Pumping 24/7 through a house loop tends to lead to a short stoker run once an hour or so. That could keep the fire going.

-Don

DooHicky

Post by DooHicky » Fri. Oct. 26, 2018 2:23 pm

Pumping only to 20 plate DHW and 50 plate heat exchanger for house heat...

The wood boiler has an induction fan with a flapper so it is sealed up air tight, that's why I did not disconnect the flue.

Still learning :-)

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Fri. Oct. 26, 2018 7:16 pm

If the short chimney on the forest eater is still open it will let heat escape.
If you can find a flue pipe plug for the chimney inside diameter you should plug it up.
The other worry is summer use as you will need to put several pots of Damp Rid in it
to absorb the moisture that that will accumulate in the firebox.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Fri. Oct. 26, 2018 8:20 pm

I have a timer running mine,but while i was reading this,it occurred to me that i likely don't meed a timer. I found that during a power failure of 4.5 hrs. the fire pot still had fire.. it lit up fine when the power returned.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Oct. 26, 2018 8:36 pm

I never recommend running only 3 teeth of feed. I kept detailed records for a few seasons and determined that 3 teeth did not save any coal compared to 4 teeth, but it did make the stoker run more time per day.
Others have reported the same results.

The answer on the timer is "it depends". Chances are good you won't need one with your setup, but it is nice to have one wired in with a switch.

Coming home to a cold coal boiler gives me flashbacks to burning wood...so I run a timer, just to be sure. ;)

DooHicky

Post by DooHicky » Fri. Oct. 26, 2018 8:55 pm

The new with the old :-)

Btw..upped it to 4 teeth and turned on the garage floor heat...been running ..should have upped it even further..but would rather take a couple days to get the garage up to temp gradually

Attachments

IMG_20181026_193221356.jpg

My set up

.JPG | 379KB | IMG_20181026_193221356.jpg

coaledfeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1982 efm df520
Coal Size/Type: Cornwall rice
Other Heating: VC winterwarm wood

Post by coaledfeat » Sat. Oct. 27, 2018 12:39 pm

Ive been running a 520 for 5 years, Series tie in to oil boiler, circulator full time, One radiant loop full full time.
Without a timer the run times keep the pot at just a hint of glow. Natural draft seems to be enough. One outfire
during a very long warm spell. If the barrel seems to not go down as usual. about ten manual turns of the auger

keeps the fire high in the pot. Feel the pot tube for temp to check if fire is high enough, Too low it will push hot

exhaust down the tube into the barrel or bin. A readout CO unit can warn you early. Get a feel for ash production and

there will be no drama. Gary

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”