Yellow flame boiler

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Nov. 11, 2018 1:57 pm

From that picture of the fire, the air looks fine but the feed rate looks way to low. You say it is set on 6? That would be the outer most hole on the gearbox, right?

If it is really set on 6 and you fire looks like that, there is probably some major mechanical slop in the linkage. Pull the shoulder bolt out of the gearbox wheel and move the lever back and forth. There should be very little play between when you move the lever and when the grate actually moves.

Also, check to make sure that the lever is tight on the shaft. Sometimes the set screws can loosen up.

-Don

Joelharris58
Stoker Coal Boiler: Yellow flame
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Sears homart
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Joelharris58 » Sun. Nov. 11, 2018 3:55 pm

Lol so all the settings are way out now low and she flew right up to 200 without hesitating so I backed her down to 3 and about 3/4 air flow and I’ll go from there to start but the set screw on one of the linkages was letting it have a lot of slop you are the man thank god for this forum Do t know what I would do with out it

Joelharris58

Post by Joelharris58 » Sun. Nov. 11, 2018 6:17 pm

As for the gearbox does anyone know where to get new gaskets or even what size the o ring is losing some gear oil out around the seal I’m guessing it’s a long shot

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Nov. 11, 2018 6:57 pm

That's great to hear! I like the easy fixes.

As far has the gearbox seals go, people usually just pull them out and either read the numbers off of them or measure them. It's a fairly standard Bond gearbox so maybe Joe at Mark's Supply could help you out. 570-462-0748

-Don

Joelharris58

Post by Joelharris58 » Sun. Nov. 11, 2018 7:58 pm

Alright great I’ll give a call and here the latest photo of it burning looking a lot better and it’s no where near struggling now

Attachments

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Nov. 11, 2018 8:25 pm

That is looking a lot better. Is it heating everything you need to heat now?

Can you show us a pic of the firebox above the fire?

Thank you,
-Don

Joelharris58

Post by Joelharris58 » Sun. Nov. 11, 2018 8:47 pm

Yeah she’s doing great now basically just running on the timer now

Attachments

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Nov. 11, 2018 9:53 pm

Hay, That's one of the later boilers with the heat exchange plates above the fire! They are nice boilers.

Here's my old early Yellow Flame.

-Don

Joelharris58

Post by Joelharris58 » Sun. Nov. 11, 2018 11:20 pm

Amazing the engineering these brilliant minds came up with lol now I want a efm but if the yellow flame comes out of the basement it will either be someone else’s problem or in pieces with the torch that son of a gun is heavy but I could t go wrong for the shape it’s in for 300 bucks another 250 to get it out of her house and plumbed into mine now if I could only find some radiators that weren’t so dam expensive

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Mon. Nov. 12, 2018 9:06 am

These might be a little far away for you but in this area the going rate is 50 to 60 bucks a piece for decent used hot water radiators.
https://harrisburg.craigslist.org/app/d/hot-water ... 78786.html
Some people ask more but they don't sell.

-Don

Joelharris58

Post by Joelharris58 » Tue. Nov. 27, 2018 11:48 am

Ok so I woke up this morning with no heat fire bed all ash went over everything and noticed the little reset button on the drive motor had tripped any ideas on what I should possibly try to get on hand in case of break down. Everything is lubed and taken care j just don’t know if it got into a bind or what

Olllotj
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KB-8
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat
Other Heating: Utica Propane Hot Water

Post by Olllotj » Tue. Nov. 27, 2018 12:28 pm

I would start by emptying the hopper, check for a jamb

Joelharris58

Post by Joelharris58 » Tue. Nov. 27, 2018 2:20 pm

It is all back up and running g and back up to temp not quite sure what I’m rhe world happened but if there was a jamb I knocked it free when clearing out the hopper so not sure exactly what happened going to have to do some babysitting

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Tue. Nov. 27, 2018 6:40 pm

Pull the shoulder bolt out of the drive wheel and move the lever back and forth manually. It should move fairly freely. If it binds, you might have something stuck between the grate and the side rail.

Yellow Flames are pretty tough. If a piece of coal gets stuck in there it will get ground down and spit out eventually.

-Don

Joelharris58

Post by Joelharris58 » Tue. Nov. 27, 2018 7:03 pm

Ok I’ll take a look it felt kind of hard I’m guessing that’s probably what it was got bound up and froze up I moved it by hand a few times and seems to be a lot easier to move now thanks everyone for the input

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”