One boiler for all...

MINO

Post by MINO » Mon. Oct. 15, 2018 7:06 pm

A lot of great responses ... i get the point of running it out of the house for load requirements.... 2 boilers in one room would be tough... boiler room is 10x10 add on I can’t figure out how to load my pics off of my iPhone... a 520 could handle it no problem... yes I move coal in basement a bin feed the way basement is laid out is next to impossible... but a bin aside of garage with auger feed is totally doable in any size ... I know I sound lazy I’m only 41😂😂but thinking of a permenant solution for the long term... also burying another inch pex line would be tough because a pool deck and concrete pad have been added after the initial install.... I know before the k6 handled load no problem except for the extreme cold snap... I think the unit was too small but piping could of also been a limiting factor???? Still hard to tell... however as for the boilers yes I could lump the 520 into garage I was just looking for maybe a slightly bigger unit.. better have it and not need it than need it and not have it... the problem is the k6 sits oiled up with a heat lamp in it but it still doesn’t fend off the rust and corrosion... it use to run year round when I heated my pool but don’t want a rust bucket either... I perfect boiler would be like a keystoker k10 with a custom stoker throat where instead of one big burner use dual k6 burners where in the summer burn one to just satisfy the domestic water needs and fire second one up when there’s a heating demand...

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Mon. Oct. 15, 2018 7:43 pm

The problem with a big boiler is it sounds like you don’t need it most of the time, I get the better to have it and not need it... I’m running a AHS260 lol but I have big plans for the future... right now, it loafs along when it’s -10 outside!

Can the EFM heat the house and the garage where the ka6 is? Have you not tried it yet?

MINO

Post by MINO » Mon. Oct. 15, 2018 8:24 pm

I would assume the 520 could do it... if a k6 did it ... well except for a week stretch of negative temps with crazy windchill... when k6 was primary it kept house ok it just took awhile for the non priority zones to get satisfied ... the primary zone which is the downstairs would be ok but once it was satisfied the other zones that were calling for heat would dump and then the boiler took awhile to bring them up and by then the primary would call for heat and shut other zones down... the k6 never shut down legit for a 2 day stretch that week... once wind died down it was fine... so I would assume it was a bit undersized and not the btu transfer thru the pipe...but I could be wrong hence why I asked here!!!! But for a reference I once heated and I still have in my living room an Alaska Channing 3 with powervent all decked out and that heated whole house no problem... I live exactly 3/4 of a mile from blashack main breaker so running out of coal is “never” a problem I just want to simplify things but do it the right way once!!!

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”