Stainless Steel All Fuel Chimney for Coal Use

janitor_ed
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-81

Post by janitor_ed » Sun. Sep. 30, 2018 10:45 am

McGiever wrote:
Wed. Sep. 26, 2018 11:44 pm
only increased height can render increased draft
That is interesting to know. I would have thought both diameter and length would mutually affect draft.
McGiever wrote:
Wed. Sep. 26, 2018 11:44 pm
There are other gains besides increased draft by building a taller chimney/flue.
Higher chimneys are far less to even never effected by down drafts.
I definitely have concerns about this as I live in an location of high elevation where we get high winds generally from the west. There is a slight rise to the west with a line of spruce trees about 100 feet away from the house that provides some wind break but not much.

janitor_ed

Post by janitor_ed » Sun. Sep. 30, 2018 10:57 am

StokerDon wrote:
Thu. Sep. 27, 2018 6:18 pm
This type of pipe has features that are completely unnecessary for a coal stoker boiler. The air gap is there to give more clearance to combustibles, this is great if you have 1000 degree flue gasses (wood). Your GJ will rarely ever get above 400. Also, the air gap will likely cool the inside of the chimney which will in turn really hurt the idle draft.

It also states that the second wall is galvanized steel, not stainless. Once fly ash and moisture get onto the galvanized, it won't last long.

If this product costs more than their double wall insulated pipe, I would definitely not use it. The double wall is stainless inside and out and works very well.

-Don
Hi Don,
Since the pipe is capped at the top and bottom, I guess I was kind of thinking that the air gap between the outer pipe and the second pipe wall would provide dead air space creating some insulating effect.

I did see that about the second wall being galvanized (actually because I got a chance to look at the pipe first hand in the store and saw that it was galvanized). But I don't understand why this would be exposed to fly ash as it is insulated from the inside 8 inch flue pipe which would be carrying the gasses and ash.

Having said all the above I see your point about the double wall. And yes! The price of the triple wall 8 inch and 10 inch pipe is crazy expensive making the block chimney look even more favorable. In fact the only way i could probably afford the larger diameter pipe would be find some used in good condition.

janitor_ed

Post by janitor_ed » Sun. Sep. 30, 2018 10:58 am

lzaharis wrote:
Thu. Sep. 27, 2018 9:31 am
I had a smurf with a flame thrower blowing a 2 foot blue flame coming out of the lower draft door
Yikes! For sure I don't want this happening.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Sep. 30, 2018 11:12 am

janitor_ed wrote:
Sun. Sep. 30, 2018 10:57 am
Since the pipe is capped at the top and bottom, I guess I was kind of thinking that the air gap between the outer pipe and the second pipe wall would provide dead air space creating some insulating effect.
I've never used triple wall but I thought that the air gap was open at the top to let hot air flow out. Maybe I'm wrong???

-Don

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Sep. 30, 2018 11:13 am

As for downdraft, besides having chimney 2-3 foot higher than any roof area within 10 foot measured horizontally, one can then add a chimney cap to that and help more.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”