New Gentleman Janitor GJ-81 Owner - Info needed please!

janitor_ed
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-81

Post by janitor_ed » Tue. Aug. 14, 2018 10:04 pm

Greetings!

My name is Ed and this is my first post although I've been browsing the forum for few years. I picked up Gentleman Janitor GJ-81. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find much info on this one.

Specifically I'm looking for the following....

1. Specifications (not quite sure how many BTU this is even rated for).
2. Recommended installation clearances.
3. Recommended Chimney (will not be using masonry).

I'll try to get some pics posted as soon as I can. My intention is to clean it up and try pressure testing it soon. I'm running late on this already and will have a lot to do, but would like to see if I can get the ol' gal going before winter arrives!

Thank you in advance!

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Aug. 15, 2018 12:39 am

Post some measurements with your pics...breech size, fire pot diameter and H x W x L

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Wed. Aug. 15, 2018 11:02 am

Jan just a suggestion a block chimney is Much cheaper than stainless that Decays From Coal use .Do you know any masons carpenters that can do a chimney .Really a block chimney is Simply Stacking one block upon another .Of course with mortar cement in between .P M me I ca n tell you what to do .Jack a Mason 40 plus years .

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Wed. Aug. 15, 2018 6:53 pm

Welcome to the forum,

Wow, a GJ-81? I have not heard of that one but my guess (and this is just a guess) is that GJ used a naming convention something like this. 1950's GJ-50, GJ-51, GJ-52. 1960's GJ-60, GJ-61, GJ-62, ect...

Using that logic your GJ-81 is probably a much newer version of the GJ-61 in this manual.
Brochure1.jpg
.JPG | 191.5KB | Brochure1.jpg
Brochure2.jpg
.JPG | 242KB | Brochure2.jpg
Brochure3.jpg
.JPG | 226.3KB | Brochure3.jpg
Brochure4.jpg
.JPG | 227KB | Brochure4.jpg
Brochure5.jpg
.JPG | 184.5KB | Brochure5.jpg
And the instruction sheet from my old GJ-51 for good measure.
GJ-51InstructionManual.pdf
.PDF | 771.2KB | GJ-51InstructionManual.pdf
If my guess is right, the stoker should look just like this one. The ash ring should be 14".
ScrappersPlace 001.JPG
.JPG | 443.9KB | ScrappersPlace 001.JPG
ScrappersPlace 002.JPG
.JPG | 428.4KB | ScrappersPlace 002.JPG
ScrappersPlace 004.JPG
.JPG | 424.4KB | ScrappersPlace 004.JPG
Here's a link to some GJ videos. Sorry, most of these are a GJ with an EFM stoker though.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFU8SaWNbz ... -uEZyMcejL

-Don

EDIT: Corrected model# GJ-81

janitor_ed

Post by janitor_ed » Wed. Aug. 15, 2018 9:09 pm

McGiever wrote:
Wed. Aug. 15, 2018 12:39 am
Post some measurements with your pics...breech size, fire pot diameter and H x W x L
Hi McGiever,

Sorry for my ignorance in this matter but what do you mean by "breech size"? Are you referring to the size of the chamber where combustion takes place?

janitor_ed

Post by janitor_ed » Wed. Aug. 15, 2018 9:33 pm

Here are some details and few photos. I'll try to provide more info as I can.

Model: GJ-81-SU

Note: All measurements approximate.

Ash Ring Diameter: 14 inches
Center of fire pot diameter: 4 inches
Depth of fire pot (from top of ash ring to auger): 9 inches

Width of base of boiler: 25 3/4 inches across front
Depth from front to back: 35 1/4"
Height inside: 22 inches
Depth inside: 25 inches
Chimney outlet: 8 inch dia.

Attachments

IMG_6378.JPG

Gentleman Janitor GJ-81 Data Plate

.JPG | 408.4KB | IMG_6378.JPG
IMG_6379.JPG

Boiler Rear

.JPG | 360.4KB | IMG_6379.JPG
IMG_6380.JPG

Base

.JPG | 399.8KB | IMG_6380.JPG
IMG_6381.JPG

Boiler Front

.JPG | 403.1KB | IMG_6381.JPG
IMG_6382.JPG

Fire Pot

.JPG | 434KB | IMG_6382.JPG
IMG_6383.JPG

Motor, Blower, Gear box

.JPG | 371.2KB | IMG_6383.JPG

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Aug. 15, 2018 9:57 pm

janitor_ed wrote:
Wed. Aug. 15, 2018 9:09 pm
Hi McGiever,

Sorry for my ignorance in this matter but what do you mean by "breech size"? Are you referring to the size of the chamber where combustion takes place?

You got it covered...it is the chimney outlet. ;)

Looks like you got a real "work horse" there. :yes:

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman

Post by StokerDon » Thu. Aug. 16, 2018 7:25 pm

It actually looks pretty good. Check to see if the square combustion air pipe has any rusted through areas. Check where the bottom ring meets the base of the pot, if you don't feel a "step" it isn't worn out yet.

You have to pull the gear box off to pull the auger out. The auger bushing and or the pot bushing may be stuck in there so it might be a little challenging.

Plug the boiler up, fill it up to house pressure with a garden hose and see if it leaks.

-Don

janitor_ed

Post by janitor_ed » Sat. Aug. 18, 2018 10:11 am

Hi Don,

While i didn't see the GJ in operation when I made the purchase. It was installed when I got it and was told that it had been used in the year previous to my purchase. The P.O. switched to a natural gas boiler.

I will probably start working on it this coming week. I'm just finishing up some work on my car, plus work two jobs, plus family, etc. so time is always difficult to come by.

Any words of advice for disassembling the rings from the pot. I haven't spent much time studying it, but it looks like the bolts in the upper ring have to come out.

I need to get some fittings together to do the pressure test. I will probably start on acquiring those today.

Best Regards,
Ed

janitor_ed

Post by janitor_ed » Sat. Aug. 18, 2018 10:48 am

So I'm planning on doing "sort of" a remote installation.
My house does not have a basement but rather has a pad and about a three foot high crawl space under the entire house. I don't really have a place in the house where I can put the boiler, however I think my garage may be the best option.

I want to heat my workshop which is in the rear of the garage anyway.

I'm not sure what is the best way to do this, using a primary only or primary-secondary set up. I have attached a not to scale drawing which shows the layout of the house & garage.

#1 is the proposed location for the GJ-81 boiler in the garage.
#2 is the proposed location for the coal bin.
#3 is a closet in the house where if I do a primary-secondary system this where the manifold, etc could go.
#4 is an open 5 foot wide walkway between the garage and the house. I would have to go under this.

Some concerns I have are as follows...
1. Running the lines in garage I would have to go up from the boiler across the ceiling of the garage and back down the wall nearest to the house, then through a hole in concrete floor. I'm assuming that it is best to avoid 90 degree elbows in the lines. This could get a bit tricky trying to do this with gentle radius bends. Any opinions on this?

2. If the way to go is with a Primary-Secondary system, I could either put the equipment in the fore mentioned closet or down in the crawl space. I can see in one way it would be easier to installed in the crawl space but perhaps not as easy from an operation and maintenance standpoint. It is a bit difficult getting in the crawl space and not something I want to do often.

3. Running the lines underground bothers me a bit since I would have to cut through the concrete of the both the house and the garage. I would be most difficult under the house where I'd be doing everything in 3 foot high crawl space. Might watch "The Great Escape" for inspiration.

Attachments

GJ_Layout.png

Layout of House and Garage

.PNG | 9KB | GJ_Layout.png

janitor_ed

Post by janitor_ed » Sun. Sep. 02, 2018 9:57 pm

I tried doing the pressure test but I found leaks around the domestic hot water coil flange. I sort of expected this as the gasket was brittle and kind of a mess with RTV.
What is the recommended gasket material? Cork? High temp gasket material? Should I coat the gasket with RTV on both sides when installing?

franpipeman
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm 520 stoker fitzgibbons pressure vessel
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman, russo
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: alpine propane condensing boiler radiant floor

Post by franpipeman » Mon. Sep. 03, 2018 8:11 am

I ran a heating system in a very large high school and it had 3 foot tunnels that led to every classroom to run the hydronic piping to what are known as unit ventilators. The "Great Escape" was inspiration to me as I had to crawl hundreds of feet to some classroom and I pass on the small wheel dolly use by mover and available at a harbor freight came in very handy. We wheeled ourselves around on our backs and pulled dollies with material and equipment also dont forget led headlamps quite handy and plan your work ahead. good luck

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Mon. Sep. 03, 2018 8:19 am

Ed,

The coil gasket should be made out of rubber about an 1/8th" thick. Mike did one last week, read this. Use a thin coat of TRV on the mating surfaces, not the gasket.
Coil Gasket replacement
After you have the coil out, take a look at the studs. They tend to rot and get thin at the bottom where the gasket is. The nuts should be brass. Steel nuts will rust to the studs.

-Don

janitor_ed

Post by janitor_ed » Mon. Sep. 03, 2018 9:44 am

Hi Don,

Thank you for the great info. I'm pretty sure the nut that were on there were stainless, but I'm going to seek out some brass ones. I'm also going to take a second look at the studs as you suggest.

I will also reach out to Mike and ask him where he got his rubber gasket material.

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Mon. Sep. 03, 2018 9:48 am

janitor_ed wrote:
Mon. Sep. 03, 2018 9:44 am
I will also reach out to Mike and ask him where he got his rubber gasket material.
Ed,

It's just sheet rubber, most hardware stores have it.

-Don

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”