New Stoker Boiler

Farmer6
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF 520
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Retired Franco Belge 92,000 BTU
Other Heating: oil

Post by Farmer6 » Sat. Jul. 28, 2018 6:54 am

I am going to buy a new stoker boiler soon. Which design is better flat plate or underfed? And which brand would you go with? Thanks for to info.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. Jul. 28, 2018 7:23 am

I went with the Axeman. Very robust and a hell of a conversation piece.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Jul. 28, 2018 8:09 am

Wow, that's one heck of an open ended question!

You better read this thread first.
Which Coal Boiler to Get

In general (very general), flat grate stokers work very well and are less expensive than under fed stokers. Under fed stokers hold a fire longer requiring less timer cycles and you can put the auger right into the bin. This eliminates the need to fill a hopper.

Don't forget about the Axeman Anderson/AHS boilers!

-Don

Farmer6
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF 520
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Retired Franco Belge 92,000 BTU
Other Heating: oil

Post by Farmer6 » Sat. Jul. 28, 2018 12:34 pm

I am not new to burning coal had a Franco belge hand fired boiler for over 25 years. Took it out of service 2 years ago. Will be heating 1500 sf. home with a dump zone in the basement.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Jul. 28, 2018 1:48 pm

Then, in my opinion, if the FB boiler did a good job of heating the house, the smallest EFM, Gentleman Janitor, Van Wert, Axeman Anderson or AHS should do the job. This is assuming the FB boiler was around 60,000BTU?

I listed the above boilers because I believe they are the best of the auger fed boilers. The AHS has an optional auger that costs a little more.

It's a shame that you didn't get any responses to your DS Aqua-Stoke questions.
DS Aqua-Stoke

I to would love to hear from someone that has used one of these. From what I have seen and heard, it should be a great unit.

-Don

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Sat. Jul. 28, 2018 6:18 pm

Don I talked to Scrapper on the phone a week or so ago and he passed on to me that there were about 30 of the DS stoker boilers sold so far. I know that does not answer much in the meantime but at least now we know that there are many in service or soon to be.

To me it would be the ideal machine for those who would like a new underfed unit but are looking for a more budget-friendly answer. There were several threads that discussed the mechanics of them if someone wants to dig them up.

I watched one in action for a long spell at a machinery show and was very impressed. I feel it would run right beside my EFMs and never miss a beat.

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Tue. Jul. 31, 2018 9:22 am

I was up at Scrapper's place on Sunday. He as been working with the DS folks torture testing the Aqua-Stoker.

They have one that is connected to a warehouse radiant concrete slab. This unit runs constantly and has over 6,000 hours on it and still runs like new.

Another unit that they have running they did a "jammed auger" test. This simulated a rock or large piece of coal stuck in the auger. They left it jammed with the motor trying to run for 11 hours. Then they un-jammed it and it still continues to run. That gear motor must be pretty tough!

The stoker parts are made of high quality materials and should last for decades. They are also working on a hot air unit with the same stoker.

-Don

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”