Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Dec. 29, 2018 7:06 pm

It's all good. :)

So many ways to 'skin that cat'.

Frank F

Post by Frank F » Sun. Dec. 30, 2018 7:50 am

I'm just about done with the boiler plumbing inside the house. The next step is to power the system. Here is what I want to do, please let me know what you think and if there are any guides out there.

I have a Taco 6 zone circulator control

Primary zone from boiler to house. Approx distance 165' 1 way.

Zone 1 is 20"x20" Water to Air coil installed in existing propane furnace. Approx distance 12' round trip

Zone 2 is Dom Hot water plate exchanger. Approx distance 8' round trip.

1. Primary zone=circulator runs 24/7

2. I want to configure zone 1 so furnace fan will kick on once coil is to temp( with short run is it worth it?)

3. How do I wire the fan so it functions with boiler coil and also propane in the event coal goes out.

4. What duel aquastat would you advice to run both existing propane hot water and the new boiler circulators.

5. The house coil will be dump zone untill I can purchase a heater for barn.

Thank you,
Frank

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Sun. Dec. 30, 2018 8:05 am

Frank F wrote:
Sun. Dec. 30, 2018 7:50 am
I'm just about done with the boiler plumbing inside the house. The next step is to power the system. Here is what I want to do, please let me know what you think and if there are any guides out there

3. How do I wire the fan so it functions with boiler coil and also propane in the event coal goes out.

Thank you,
Frank
Good morning Frank, Hotblast helped me wire mine last winter so that if the boiler temp drops to set point, it fires the propane furnace. It also shuts off the circulator to that loop so It does not pull heat from that loop while boiler is trying to recover. It really works well. We used a strap on aquastat on the boiler supply line before the circulator manifold to control everything. Sure he will help you out as he knows it better than I but I can go trace my wires if need be.

Frank F

Post by Frank F » Sun. Dec. 30, 2018 8:13 am

swyman wrote:
Sun. Dec. 30, 2018 8:05 am
Good morning Frank, Hotblast helped me wire mine last winter so that if the boiler temp drops to set point, it fires the propane furnace. It also shuts off the circulator to that loop so It does not pull heat from that loop while boiler is trying to recover. It really works well. We used a strap on aquastat on the boiler supply line before the circulator manifold to control everything. Sure he will help you out as he knows it better than I but I can go trace my wires if need be.
Awesome. I'll send him a message. Thank you!

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater

Post by McGiever » Mon. Dec. 31, 2018 2:02 pm

Frank F wrote:
Sun. Dec. 30, 2018 7:50 am
I'm just about done with the boiler plumbing inside the house. The next step is to power the system. Here is what I want to do, please let me know what you think and if there are any guides out there.

I have a Taco 6 zone circulator control

Primary zone from boiler to house. Approx distance 165' 1 way.

Zone 1 is 20"x20" Water to Air coil installed in existing propane furnace. Approx distance 12' round trip

Zone 2 is Dom Hot water plate exchanger. Approx distance 8' round trip.

1. Primary zone=circulator runs 24/7

2. I want to configure zone 1 so furnace fan will kick on once coil is to temp( with short run is it worth it?)

4. What duel aquastat would you advice to run both existing propane hot water and the new boiler circulators.

5. The house coil will be dump zone untill I can purchase a heater for barn.

Thank you,
Frank
Did you get all what you needed?

Frank F

Post by Frank F » Mon. Dec. 31, 2018 5:55 pm

McGiever wrote:
Mon. Dec. 31, 2018 2:02 pm
Did you get all what you needed?
I believe so. Thank you.

Frank F

Post by Frank F » Tue. Jan. 01, 2019 8:37 pm

Is there an aquastat that can run two different heat sources based on temp? I was wondering if there is an aquastat that I could install on my propane water heater that would operate both the propane burner and my boiler circulator based on temp? Say I want the boiler set at 120 deg, and if coal goes out the propane set to fire at 110.

Hotblast said maybe where PRV is located I could install a T with the aquastat well and PRV installed. Seems as it would work, just want to make sure I can't go the other route first.

But figured I'd see if there was such thing as a duel fuel aquastat. I tried searching online but didn't have any luck.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Tue. Jan. 01, 2019 10:13 pm

Frank F wrote:
Tue. Jan. 01, 2019 8:37 pm
Is there an aquastat that can run two different heat sources based on temp? I was wondering if there is an aquastat that I could install on my propane water heater that would operate both the propane burner and my boiler circulator based on temp? Say I want the boiler set at 120 deg, and if coal goes out the propane set to fire at 110.

Hotblast said maybe where PRV is located I could install a T with the aquastat well and PRV installed. Seems as it would work, just want to make sure I can't go the other route first.

But figured I'd see if there was such thing as a duel fuel aquastat. I tried searching online but didn't have any luck.
You should be able to let the propain run as stand alone as it is...what, you just don't want to have two devices to set?

Here's an option that works great for boiler loop circulator and set-point, but it wont take another device...
Johnson Controls A419
Linked is for 24VAC, but if you need 120VAC you can search a bit more and find that...

No well needed, just tuck probe in contact with the metal wall of tank under the propain tank's insulation blanket at a upper spot on the tank. And you will enjoy seeing the digital display showing the real time Tank Temp 24/7. :)

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Fri. Apr. 30, 2021 12:47 pm

Frank F wrote:
Tue. Jan. 01, 2019 8:37 pm

Looks like this would do it...
https://store.gilsoneng.com/products/TSS2-2101R

https://www.alliedelec.com/m/d/8017fd50e9a4f30339 ... 494055.pdf

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”