KAA-4-1 start up issues

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Sun. May. 13, 2018 6:01 pm

How many of you with the keystoker dual fuel units have issues with flue gasses and smoke pouring out of the oil and gas burner tubes when you start your coal fires with cowboy charcoal and broken charcoal briquettes??

I have a Riello burner and the burner tube is open all the way into the cover box/not fully sealed.

How is the Beckett burner offered by Keystoker different than the Riello with its burner tube if it is different? I had a Beckett burner on the AVCO LYCOMING boiler when I first moved here and it was considerably smaller and heavier than the Riello burner.

The thick insulation wad is still in the burner tube protecting the oil nozzle and I just wondered if this was a common start up problem with the dual fuel units on any manufacture as the systems are forced draft combustion. Have any of you noticed smoke coming through the adapter plate gasket?

After the coal fire is established there is no more smoke and fumes exiting through the burner tube and into the burner cover and then out in to the laundry room.

I could set fire to a fire starter brick in the chiney clean out/ ash pit to create a draft before I start the coal fire the next time I need to start the coal fire this year before I pull the burner I guess as that would create a good draft by itself.

I plan on pulling the oil burner off and removing it completely and putting the the cover plate back on the burner tube hole
anyway this summer as the oil tank is empty and I have no plans to to refill it any time soon unless I am no longer able to take care of the coal fire for a period of time. The oil burner is always in the way anyway when I am checking the fire, shaking the ash basket down or removing a full ash basket so its good riddance when I pull it. I will just put the oil burner in a small black plastic bin when I set it aside and store it in the garage out of the way.

Thanks much.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. May. 14, 2018 1:07 pm

The issue is caused by lack of draft, not the burner design. A Beckett burner would have the same problem.

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Mon. May. 14, 2018 6:00 pm

Hello Rob,

The ash pit is clean and the rectangular inlet for the flue breech from the ash pit is open.
I have a 19 foot chimney with the chimney extension. So, I may end up just lighting a
fire starter brick or two in the bottom of the chimney if that is the case.

Thanks much

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”