Hydronic heating book.

Frank F

Post by Frank F » Sun. Apr. 22, 2018 8:35 am

What is the best all around hydronic heating book. After all the help on this forum I think I've decided to go with a boiler vs the furnace. I need a book to guide me through adding an additional system to my existing furnace. I will eventually have 4 zones. Two heat exchangers in my ductwork. The plumbing and metal work are easy for me. But the knowing what size plumbing, valves, pumps....And how to have the two systems using the same blower... There is alot to know and I don't want to over or under engineer. I've seen some very expensive pumps and cheaper but don't really understand how the difference will affect my system. So if there are any books in your opinion would help me please let me know.

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Sun. Apr. 22, 2018 9:14 am

You can purchase these three excellent paperback books from the the author whose name is Dan Holohan directly at

www.dansbooks.com which is part of the Heating Help Forum that Dan Holohan started and which his daughter Erin manages now.

1. "Classic Hydronics"

2. "Pumping Away"

3. "How Come"

I would suggest that you become a member of the Heating Help Forum www.heatinghelp.com to help with your plumbing and forced air heating design for your home. Becoming a member of the heating help forum is free and the information you will receive from the members at the heating help forum and here at Coal Pail it will save you a lot of work and money.

If you have not installed any duct work yet your going to find that one pipe steam with a drop header to provide dry steam is still a very good way to heat a home and many plumbers still install and maintain steam heating systems and once you read more about them you will agree once you under stand how it works and how efficient it is.

Two excellent books about steam heating are "We Got Steam" and "Greening Steam" which were also written by Dan Holohan.

Forced air heating is referred to as "Scorched Air" by many many plumbers and a very poor way to heat due to all the work needed to install a scorched air system.

You can have panel radiators for steam heating using refrigerant grade copper tubing feeding dry steam to the panel radiators either from a header pipe above the ceiling or a central steam header hung in the basement ceiling joists.

Frank F

Post by Frank F » Sun. Apr. 22, 2018 3:38 pm

lzaharis wrote:
Sun. Apr. 22, 2018 9:14 am
You can purchase these three excellent paperback books from the the author whose name is Dan Holohan directly at

www.dansbooks.com which is part of the Heating Help Forum that Dan Holohan started and which his daughter Erin manages now.

1. "Classic Hydronics"

2. "Pumping Away"

3. "How Come"

I would suggest that you become a member of the Heating Help Forum www.heatinghelp.com to help with your plumbing and forced air heating design for your home. Becoming a member of the heating help forum is free and the information you will receive from the members at the heating help forum and here at Coal Pail it will save you a lot of work and money.

If you have not installed any duct work yet your going to find that one pipe steam with a drop header to provide dry steam is still a very good way to heat a home and many plumbers still install and maintain steam heating systems and once you read more about them you will agree once you under stand how it works and how efficient it is.

Two excellent books about steam heating are "We Got Steam" and "Greening Steam" which were also written by Dan Holohan.

Forced air heating is referred to as "Scorched Air" by many many plumbers and a very poor way to heat due to all the work needed to install a scorched air system.

You can have panel radiators for steam heating using refrigerant grade copper tubing feeding dry steam to the panel radiators either from a header pipe above the ceiling or a central steam header hung in the basement ceiling joists.
Thank you! I do already have an existing propane forced air system. I intend on putting heat exchangers in line. And though time swapping over to in floor heating but that's way down the Rd.
I have gained alot of guidance on this forum and have been back and forth on ideas. I will deffinately read up on steam heating as well.

Thank you!

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Sun. Apr. 22, 2018 6:26 pm

In addition to the books by Dan Holohan, (which I have also), "Modern Hydronic Heating" by John Siegenthaler, albeit not inexpensive, is in my opinion the best investment you will ever make in your hydronic heating system. I know it was for me.

Frank F

Post by Frank F » Sun. Apr. 22, 2018 9:29 pm

BunkerdCaddis wrote:
Sun. Apr. 22, 2018 6:26 pm
In addition to the books by Dan Holohan, (which I have also), "Modern Hydronic Heating" by John Siegenthaler, albeit not inexpensive, is in my opinion the best investment you will ever make in your hydronic heating system. I know it was for me.
Thank you. I'll check that out too.

Soupy6914

Post by Soupy6914 » Sun. Apr. 22, 2018 9:47 pm

I signed up for a free 30 day trail on scribd.com and downloaded the modern hydronic heating hand book and some other useful recourse if your looking to go that route. The book I bleive is a text book very informative. Lots of calculations and such.

PolarLight
Stoker Coal Boiler: JB
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Propane, firewood

Post by PolarLight » Tue. May. 01, 2018 6:43 pm

I also got Modern Hydronic systems today. I love math and calculations, so, hopefully will enjoy reading ....:-)

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Wed. May. 02, 2018 6:30 am

PolarLight wrote:
Tue. May. 01, 2018 6:43 pm
I love math and calculations, so, hopefully will enjoy reading ....:-)
You're gonna enjoy that book then...I was never a "math fan" so to speak, that book taught me to appreciate what can be done with math. :yes:

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”