Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Propane, firewood

Post by PolarLight » Mon. Oct. 08, 2018 6:07 pm

Found something, will be strong enough?
3.000 X 0.120 ST STRUCTURAL TUBE ROUND
Each section 8' long, need 5 sections.
Total price is $454CAD on
metalsupermarkets.com
Need also base plate, brackets and probably flanges for connection.
Now, I am thinking how to build that goddammit support tower. First thought, is to drill 0.5" holes and insert long treaded bolts, then use them as a ladder. But, I am quite a big and a heavy boy,my wife wouldn't be happy to see that.....:-). OMG

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Mon. Oct. 08, 2018 6:15 pm

Hello Polar Light,

Can you wait one heating season and then decide whether to add the bracing system? I ask only because you have invested quite bit of work and money already with your current flue stack.

As it is now, your stack is guyed and tensioned well and any will load will be countered by the opposing guy lines for the coming winter.

My father had an incinerator stack fro his grocery business and it was not quite as tall as your but well tensioned in place with guy wires and connection collars.

Leon

PolarLight
Stoker Coal Boiler: JB

Post by PolarLight » Mon. Oct. 08, 2018 6:21 pm

Wren wrote:
Mon. Oct. 08, 2018 11:28 am
I shouldn't comment because I don't perfectly understand but if a few people split the freight cost would it be worth it?
It might be hard to prove its for personal use, although it is at present.
This year customs are charging the tax on the coal and they did not in previous years. Always ask if its for personal use as only allowed crossing for that. It would be nice to have twenty tons at a time but a tough job moving so much at once. I mean, if 100 tons were split five ways or something, if a few of us were to split the cost of bringing coal from somewhere cheaper. I have to go to Kentucky over the next year and have been trying to think how to bring coal back but if a truck taking something down brought coal back....
I also think custom wouldn't believe that 100tonnes gonna be used for a personal needs. They will charge a lot.
But I love the idea with the railroad car. It may save a lot of money....

PolarLight

Post by PolarLight » Mon. Oct. 08, 2018 7:37 pm

lzaharis wrote:
Mon. Oct. 08, 2018 6:15 pm
Hello Polar Light,

Can you wait one heating season and then decide whether to add the bracing system? I ask only because you have invested quite bit of work and money already with your current flue stack.

As it is now, your stack is guyed and tensioned well and any will load will be countered by the opposing guy lines for the coming winter.

My father had an incinerator stack fro his grocery business and it was not quite as tall as your but well tensioned in place with guy wires and connection collars.

Leon
Yes, Leon.
I've spent all my weekend's time during last summer building that wall of bricks, and erecting chimney. Honestly, say, all freetime that I had between my trips to forest (bringing and chopping firewood).
I think I've spent 90% of my weekend time chainsawing and chopping firewood. Hope, it's gonna change, soon.lol

lzaharis

Post by lzaharis » Tue. Oct. 09, 2018 7:42 pm

I gave up on cordwood after 33 years when I slipped and had my nose broken on ice.

PolarLight

Post by PolarLight » Sat. Oct. 20, 2018 3:32 pm

Do you know guys, what kind of beast is it? Guy not far from me sells it. Only 50 Canadians. He says it's designed for coal burning.....

Attachments

$_59.JPG
.JPG | 58.1KB | $_59.JPG

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. Oct. 20, 2018 4:10 pm

Looks like a leaker to me. I doubt it would make a good coal stove with those bifold doors.

PolarLight

Post by PolarLight » Sat. Oct. 20, 2018 5:05 pm

Looks like a hot air furnace, been thinking if I can use it somehow. Perhaps no. Anyway, If someone needs it, let me know I have his phone #.

PolarLight

Post by PolarLight » Sat. Oct. 20, 2018 5:35 pm

That thing been in service for many, many years. Guy bought an old house and found it, he doesn't even know how to use it, lol.

PolarLight

Post by PolarLight » Sat. Oct. 27, 2018 5:19 pm

Got first 3 ton
IMG_20181026_200407.jpg
.JPG | 500KB | IMG_20181026_200407.jpg
s of coal yesterday.
Actually got it for free. Guy who bought a very old abondoned house found these rocks on a basement.
Wasnt an easy job, took almost 6 hours bringing it up and boxing inside of enclosed trlr.

lzaharis

Post by lzaharis » Sat. Oct. 27, 2018 6:22 pm

Those free black rocks are going to keep you plenty warm Polar Light. With your chimney you will have no issues with draft and you could probably have a long burn time with a manual damper in the flue pipe.

I have been running a rice buckwheat mix at almost zero PSIG and 170 degrees Fahrenheit for the last week after I backed the stoker off 2 more threads and the house is warm with no dampness in the floor or carpet.

I look froward to seeing your first fire when you have time to post more pictures.

I have a great fire starting method(for me anyway) when I need to begin the heating season; I soak a bunch of charcoal briquettes or hard wood charcoal and let it sit for an hour and then I dump them out of the coffee can on several layers of news print and use a 4 pound hammer to break them up in to very small pieces and then after they are small enough I take either a paper towel tube that has been cut in short lengths or toilert paper tubes and stuff the tubes full of the shattered charcoal and stuff it in there tight and then take a 1/4 of a sheet of news print and wrap the tube with it and fold the ends over and tape them shut and after that I stuff one or two of them in the coal coming off the stoker and then fire them up with my Bernzomatic Fatboy torch and then turn the forced drat fan on and the fire starts and after a few minutes I take another tube filled with rice coal and wrapped in news print and put it on top of the burning charcoal on the stoker bed and after a few minutes I check it and the fire is burning well.

PolarLight

Post by PolarLight » Sat. Oct. 27, 2018 6:30 pm

Wow, that is a very sophisticated method to start a keystroker.
Gonna test it for sure once my system is completed.
Thanks

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Oct. 27, 2018 6:59 pm

That stoker sure likes some large coal pieces, some pieces look to be up near to the size of Stove Coal.

PolarLight

Post by PolarLight » Tue. Feb. 26, 2019 9:43 pm

Hello guys,
We got extreme winter this year. We have got so much snow in last 20 years. All our buildings are buried under snow. That picture was taken in December, now light poll under snow. 8 feet of snow, crazy.
Well, I am waiting til spring to start project again, this summer ii am going to quite my job and dedicate all my time to boiler installation.
I got a quote from a guy from PE, he said anthracite will cost about $300 Canadian per tonne, if I order full trackload (25 tons).
I am planning to install a insulated buffer tank 1000 gallons in a basement of a main house and dig trunches from garage with boiler to both houses. Second house will be for rent, hope tenants will help me to pay for the coal....:-).
I decided to install buffer tank for 2 reasons. Firstly, my boiler is too powerfull to run continuously.
Secondary, I am planning later to install solar heating units on a roof of main house. It will help me to heat both houses in October, November, April, and May when we have plenty of sun. So, am planning to run on coal only from December til March
Not sure how it will work.
Alex

Attachments

PolarLight

Post by PolarLight » Tue. Feb. 26, 2019 9:53 pm

Many people asked me why I decided to go with Zota boiler?
There are several reasons for that.
1. It can run in 3 different modes.
Automatic when auger is running, semi-automatic when auger is not running, but fan and processor are both working, and coal being shoveled. Manual mode when power is out, well pump should be running from alternative source of energy.
2. In addition to coal it can run on wood pellets, in case coal is banned in Ontario (who knows what will decide to do?). I already got an adaptor for that.
3. It has electrical heating coil inside rated 17 kwatts, should be enough to keep water not frozen, in case I am away.
Well, I am thinking about solar panels or something, otherwise 17kwt will bring down powerlines.....

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”