EFM DF520 steel plates

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Mon. Mar. 19, 2018 9:21 am

So I'm officially out of coal and shut down as of Saturday 3/17. Sunday I started cleaning out the boiler, removing the vent pipe, baffle and steel plates. These plates hang on rather stout hooks. The left plate came off fairly easily but the right one was a wrestling match. The hooks seem unnecessarily long and curved. I can forsee lots of cussing trying to get it back on. Anyone have any tips for this procedure?

coaledfeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1982 efm df520
Coal Size/Type: Cornwall rice
Other Heating: VC winterwarm wood

Post by coaledfeat » Mon. Mar. 19, 2018 11:46 am

When I installed our EFM 520 a few years back, the plates were my first concern. I cut them as short as think they
to be to support the plates. I also welded a half inch threaded nut to the upper center so I can thread a long bolt
to use as a handle. It seems to help to file out the holes each season. After a good cleaning I put a small fan in the
smoke outlet to keep Nicole dry. Worked so far! Be sure to get enough coal this season. Keep posting, Gary.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Mon. Mar. 19, 2018 6:05 pm

Ha Ha!

-Don

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Mon. Mar. 19, 2018 7:04 pm

On each plate I welded a 4 inch long piece of round stock on a slight downward angle. I welded them right in the middle and they seem to balance very well and give me something kind of meaty to grab ahold of. I like coaledfeats idea too, that will allow for a longer handle to be used.

You can see mine behind the fire in this photo.

Attachments

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Mon. Mar. 19, 2018 7:33 pm

One of my boiler customers welded big lug nuts on the front of each plate and made a tool to take them off. It looked like a rake with all the teeth broke off but two. He could reach in without having to shut the boiler down and remove the plates and give it a quick brush down.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Mar. 19, 2018 8:52 pm

coalkirk wrote:
Mon. Mar. 19, 2018 9:21 am
So I'm officially out of coal and shut down as of Saturday 3/17. Sunday I started cleaning out the boiler, removing the vent pipe, baffle and steel plates. These plates hang on rather stout hooks. The left plate came off fairly easily but the right one was a wrestling match. The hooks seem unnecessarily long and curved. I can forsee lots of cussing trying to get it back on. Anyone have any tips for this procedure?
I am not sure what your procedure is for removing the plates, but I have found a flat pry bar to work very well. I just put the bar between the base and the bottom of the plate, and twist it to push the plate upwards. I just wiggle the top of the plate a little bit and it comes right off the hooks.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Tue. Mar. 20, 2018 6:35 am

Yes I used a flat pry bar and lifted them. The left one pulled right out when lifted. The issue is the hooks for the right one seem to have a little more curve at the end and were difficult to get off. I like the idea of welding a large nut to the plates to assist but I think I may have to trim the hooks some on the right side.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Mar. 20, 2018 8:44 am

Trimming the hooks should be easy with a zip wheel on a 4.5" grinder.

blanchem
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, Harman VF3000 (Dad)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A-80
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Blaschak

Post by blanchem » Fri. Mar. 23, 2018 10:03 am

I had the same issue during boiler installation. It seemed my hooks were not welded very uniform at the factory and I had to twist and turn plates to get them on and off. Not very easy a task without handles. I did as others here and took a grinder and rounded off the hook bar stock ends which made the plates go on and off smoother as well as welding rebar on the plates for handles.
EFM_Baffles.JPG
.JPG | 581.1KB | EFM_Baffles.JPG

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”