What causes an EFM520 to back burn.

coalmanjoe
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by coalmanjoe » Fri. Mar. 16, 2018 6:20 am

I have installed a switch for the timer on my EFM and several others over the past 30 years without any back burning problems what so ever. I do this not to save coal but rather the unnecessary start up of the motor. I usually turn the timer off in late October and back on around late March or early April. And, my timer is on a one hour cycle for 2 minutes and have never experienced an outfire-----however, I do have a secondary aquastat wired to shut down the stoker in the event that the stoker does go out. And finally, I have had an EFM (self installed) in our previous 2 homes. Three years ago I built our 1400 square feet one story "retirement" home. My insulation is R24 walls and R50 in the ceiling. I have a combination of under floor radiant, cast iron baseboard, and copper fin baseboard (all on separate zones of course). I run the stoker year round (even with a jacket and insulation there is no humidity in my basement during the summer) and burn around 4 1/2- 5 tons a year. My neighbor who has a similar sized ranch home told me I was nuts to install a coal boiler. He has propane and his bill for January was near $400 and he also ran his mini-split AC/Heat pump. I told him that is just a little less than what I pay fore the entire year!!!!!!!!!!

David...
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks 80k output
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507B
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by David... » Fri. Mar. 16, 2018 8:44 am

I would love to have seen the look on your neighbors face when you told him your yearly cost for heat and hot water.

David

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Mar. 16, 2018 9:08 pm

I had to do a double take on that too lol. But then I thought about it, just how Don explained it, and it all made sense ;)

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”