how far is it practical to haul coal from the pit

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Feb. 25, 2018 10:34 am

Welland, Ontario, Canada--BLASCHAK--------V, you're not the first nor will you be the last Canadian here looking for info. Didn't think you'd be so sensitive. Come on my friend, it's about coal burners helping coal burners here. I'm thinkin ya got some good ideas. Follow through, it'd help others. Just remember, every site has it's idiots--I fall there on occasion! LOL

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Sun. Feb. 25, 2018 11:25 am

I think there is at least one forum thread about Lehigh outlets, and Jeddo also has a website, phone, and helpful folks.

FWIW I think Leon was correct that the load described by the OP is light for even the smallest steam-rated boilers. The gap isn't as big as it may appear from the electric load (which corresponds to net output in boiler terms), but it's still there. Putting it the context of the OP's wish for "comfort", steam is either on or off, and doesn't do in-between very well. That's ok in a big drafty house where steam can overwhelm the cold with the brute force of its heat intensity. Actually, it's better than ok, but I digress. In a small, tight house, though, a reasonable argument can be made that greater comfort would result from a hydronic system that lets you do things like have zones, change the temperature of the circulating water, and (if you really want to show them how it's done) let the system gravity feed a little so the radiators are always at least warm. As much as I appreciate having an overpowered steam boiler in the basement, I think it's reasonable for the OP to give careful consideration to a hydronic system, as evidenced by the scarcity of "little" steam boilers.

Mike

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Feb. 25, 2018 1:52 pm

With all the scathing comments in his posts about us stupid US folks ,he may just have not only blown back out of the forum.... he may have blown out of civilization too.. :what:
It is quite obvious that he is far superior mentally than we country bumpkins burning coal in the US utopia are... :roll:

As for the snide remark about hiding behind the keyboard.... whose profile has no address ... :annoyed:
Mine has city,state & zip... come take a look at how to burn lots of coal.. ;)

Ain't no use begging him back... he has blown out with the wind, he wasn't prepared to listen the first time either.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Feb. 25, 2018 2:04 pm

Be nice, nobody's beggin. :)

Wren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Tiger 130, Glenwood 116, Glenwood 208 C
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Drolet woodstove, gas

Post by Wren » Sun. Feb. 25, 2018 6:20 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm about an hour from you. I havent read the whole thread but Green Vslley wants way too much for transport and they are too far from us. Someone I know from Quebec crosses at Cornwall to go to Massena and picks up coal for me at Tractor Supply, or Lehigh sells good price by pallet. I want stove coal from Bangor but he finds it a long drive unless I will go and buy him lunch.
He takes a trailer and picks up also for z guy in Quebec. If its a nice guy at customs no charge if not 4% or maybe 6% I forget. As long as it is for personal use with an outside boiler.
Thinking of taking the children down to Pennsylvania this summer to bring back some at 120 U.S. a ton but just kicking the idea around
Last edited by Wren on Sun. Feb. 25, 2018 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wren

Post by Wren » Sun. Feb. 25, 2018 9:30 pm

Lolllll. Hard to follow this ... I think of moving to the States not just for the availability of coal but so that my sensitive conscience doesnt suffer so much from burning coal indoors illegally although I obey U.S. rugulations because they exist. But my children are settled here and my son enjoys telling his friends Im not like other mothers because I say, " Oh my goodness! I hope the stove is running!" When we are out. Then he sniggers and says, " She's left it running for two months now". Peace- Out!

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Mon. Feb. 26, 2018 8:18 am

Wren wrote:
Sun. Feb. 25, 2018 9:30 pm
... burning coal indoors illegally although I obey U.S. regulations because they exist ...
:?: :?: Tell us more. It's illegal to burn coal in Canada except in an outdoor boiler?? What U.S. regulations are you referring to?? Are the Canada restrictions based on the stinkier-smokier bituminous coal, or some other rationale??

Wren

Post by Wren » Mon. Feb. 26, 2018 12:49 pm

Ontario banned the use of coal indoors(some say in order to support the gas and hydro company and no other reason) sometime around 2003? Ontario was/is stupid because using coal worked and not using it...well electricity rates jumped 400% about two years ago and rural areas have a one hundred dollar delivery charge before we even turn the lights on. I know, I know- I'm complaining. But I see smokeless stacks and I think we burn coal indoors and call it a woodstove and keep wood. I think there is still one plant burning that hasnt been closed.
We should be lobbying and so on but too busy surviving and dont really want to draw attention as the fine is about 5000 last I checked. Craziness. Trying to ban woodstoves slowly too but home hardware here in a tiny town is selling wood cook stoves large and small. Havent asked how they are selling but I hear some locals scoffing at a price tag of three thousand for sheet metal. Lots of people around here have the family cast iron stoves but we all say we use wood. They only got electricity here late fifties. Relative newcomers like myself are closet rebels. I think the delivery charge is a punishment for using everything but electricity.
If I can figure out how to have a water fall from attic to basement and pump it up again, there's plenty of fall there for my own hydro and then I can heat water with coal snd hope the government isnt offended.
Sorry. You asked about coal but its use is attached to a few other issues.
I use regulations posted in here somewhere, plenty of info sbout clearances and so on. We dont even sell triple wall pipe here and stuff for pellet stoves isnt what we need for coal. We Ontarians must be repressed. Must work on shorter posts.

Qtown1835
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker '81 KA4 (online 1/16/17)
Coal Size/Type: WAS Lehigh Rice (TBD)
Other Heating: EFM SPK600

Post by Qtown1835 » Mon. Feb. 26, 2018 3:18 pm

Wren wrote:
Mon. Feb. 26, 2018 12:49 pm
We Ontarians must be repressed.
We here in the States refer to Canada as "Little Korea". LOL J/K :D

rberq

Post by rberq » Mon. Feb. 26, 2018 3:25 pm

Wren wrote:
Mon. Feb. 26, 2018 12:49 pm
Must work on shorter posts.
No, not shorter posts, that's just the kind of information I was looking for. Thanks. Yes, it sounds like Ontario is crazy; glad you are able to still get coal and stay under the radar with it.

Wren

Post by Wren » Mon. Feb. 26, 2018 7:01 pm

Because we are...a little behind or backward? Or something else? Funny. Im told a lady from England was here and said, " Kensington! 1910." They are still allowed coal in the U.K. and Scandinavia. Oh well.
But it's 78 degrees in my kitchen and I've got my feet up starting the 116 for the night, waiting on layers of coal. Yeah. Them city officials find us difficult to manage and keep track of. If they wanted to check up I would slide my EPA approved Drolet woodstove into place and they know I had the building permit to install it...a waste of their time to try to stop people. Kind of funny. How does it go? Milton Friedman once said, "Heaven preserve us from the sincere reformer who knows what's good for you and by heaven he's going to make you do it whether you want to or not. That's when the greatest harm is done."
They should leave our stoves alone. More important that I can make chocolate chip oatmeal cookies in my heating appliance and heat the house well, than that hydro 1 makes a killing off 100% of possible consumers who have to put up with chills and drafts.
Last edited by Wren on Tue. Feb. 27, 2018 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

vibert_c

Post by vibert_c » Mon. Feb. 26, 2018 9:23 pm

@Lzaharis
Gentlemen

My subconscious mind would not let me sleep until I got up to type this apology to @Lzaharis.

I offer my most humble apologies for accusing you of “insulting my intelligence and referring to you as ‘dude’ rather than your username. Shame shame

My search string on ‘Yippee’ “migrating caribou herd 10000 drown crossing river disturbed by James Bay power project” brought up web sites explaining the situation where the powers that be helicoptered out the corpses to be sold for pet food at $0.05 per pound without ever consulting the natives that live and breathe in the area. What do we eat when there is no food supply?

I have sent a private memo to @Lzaharis to provide my email address so we might continue a dialogue, as I share his passions and views completely.

He also pointed out for me to be aware that some versions of cast iron emitters are not serviceable in either/or duty. This is a true fact that I have since discovered and I want to thank him for the “heads-up” notice, even though it doesn’t apply to my Canadian made units of 1909 by Warden King.

Those of us (me included) who are passionate tend to rant. I have learned that Craig’s List has a “rant forum” in every jurisdiction; “beam me up Scottie”, no students of steam evident down here. I’m closing down here permanently. 73 ve3hjv

Vibert_c

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Mon. Feb. 26, 2018 9:58 pm

Well !!! :out:

Hopefully those 2 steamers can provide conversational bliss to each other.. :)

I found much better info in wren's posts anyway... :)

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Feb. 26, 2018 10:10 pm

Good to see ya back V. Not a thing in the world with an occasional rant my friend. :)

rberq

Post by rberq » Tue. Feb. 27, 2018 8:45 am

freetown fred wrote:
Mon. Feb. 26, 2018 10:10 pm
Good to see ya back V. Not a thing in the world with an occasional rant my friend. :)
In fact we have a whole sub-forum just for ranting, called Flame Suit Central. When we get tired playing nice about coal, we go there to beat each other up. :? Fresh meat always welcome.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”