Help identifying this unit

DooHicky

Post by DooHicky » Thu. Feb. 22, 2018 8:04 pm

My buddy was looking for any information on this unit...he was not able to see any kind of make or model anywhere on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated...it is an auger fed

Thank you

Attachments

Screenshot_20180222-200200.png
.PNG | 2.5MB | Screenshot_20180222-200200.png

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Thu. Feb. 22, 2018 8:13 pm

There was a stoker called Anthra-flo or something like that. They were red and white like the picture but I can’t say that that is what it is. Anthra-flo is out of business.

gaw

Post by gaw » Thu. Feb. 22, 2018 8:20 pm

Check this link
Anthra-Glo Coal-O-Matic

DooHicky

Post by DooHicky » Thu. Feb. 22, 2018 8:39 pm

Ok..thank you..there is 2 of them and will know more next week...but I think I'll be able to get them cheap...think they are worth it?

Sorry the pic of the grate was from the other unit...I'm thinking the 2 are different

Attachments

Screenshot_20180222-203813.png

Grate

.PNG | 1.4MB | Screenshot_20180222-203813.png

gaw

Post by gaw » Fri. Feb. 23, 2018 8:04 am

DooHicky wrote:
Thu. Feb. 22, 2018 8:39 pm
Ok..thank you..there is 2 of them and will know more next week...but I think I'll be able to get them cheap...think they are worth it?
I can’t give you a good answer on that other than they are at least worth scrap metal prices. Maybe someone else has an idea. If they need repair can they be fixed? Things to consider.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Fri. Feb. 23, 2018 10:18 am

DooHicky wrote:
Thu. Feb. 22, 2018 8:39 pm

Sorry the pic of the grate was from the other unit...I'm thinking the 2 are different
That's not the grate. It looks like that is where the auger feeds onto the grates, but I don't see any grates installed.

Unless you are very sure that at least one unit is in good, usable condition and needs no parts, they are not really worth more than scrap value. Although these are real nice units when working, the manufacturer has been out of business for decades and I am not aware of any parts that are available for these.

That being said, from what others have posted about these units, the boiler design looks to be one of the better ideas in coal boiler history. It is a spiral, vertical boiler wall design very much like a Van Wert.

This type of design has a few advantages. It puts a relatively large amount of internal surface area into a small package. It is also virtually self cleaning as there are no horizontal surfaces for ash to collect on.

The stoker is a little strange in that it is an auger fed flat grate. There is a bin feed auger and another auger just above the grates. The auger above the grates has flighting that spreads out as it gets further from the point of entry. This spreads the coal out over the grate evenly. I'm not sure how it pushes coal down the grate though.

If it were me, I would just plan on converting it to another stoker at some point. I bet it would be pretty simple to mount a Keystoker unit in there. Something to think about the next time you see a Keystoker 105 stove for sale cheap.

-Don

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”