Shark bite issue

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 7:19 am

I noticed when my system temp drops to ambient temp (as in a shutdown) the shark bite fittings start leaking. Is there a fix for this.....other than run the system year around? Anyone else have this issue? Mine does it at 3 different locations.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 7:22 am

Don't have any sharkbites but notice a lot of stuff can dribble when shut down. Air vents, PRVs and such.

swyman

Post by swyman » Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 7:42 am

coaledsweat wrote:
Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 7:22 am
Don't have any sharkbites but notice a lot of stuff can dribble when shut down. Air vents, PRVs and such.
When I shut down the bran loop for a few days I went out there and the shark bites were leaking pretty bad in 2 places. And the time I can home to a cold boiler from the draft safety switch the shark bites were leaking in 2 places also. Trying to figure it out...

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 7:47 am

coaledsweat wrote:
Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 7:22 am
Coaldsweat, You took the words right out of my mouth..... When I shut down, I close a ball valve at each side of boiler's primary loop, and feed water. If not, hard dribbling occurs. The following year, when things are back up to temp, dribbling disappears...... Won't dribble again till shut down.

I'm not a fan of shark bite, or any other "Quick Fix" method of plumbing. You might want to pull the shark bites out, and sweat the copper together. If it's at the boiler, add a couple ball valves.

Oh Nooooo, You didn't use shark bites through out all your plumbing, or did you?????

Qtown1835
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker '81 KA4 (online 1/16/17)
Coal Size/Type: WAS Lehigh Rice (TBD)
Other Heating: EFM SPK600

Post by Qtown1835 » Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 8:08 am

oliver power wrote:
Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 7:47 am
I'm not a fan of shark bite, or any other "Quick Fix" method of plumbing. You might want to pull the shark bites out, and sweat the copper together. If it's at the boiler, add a couple ball valves.
I cant offer help on the leaking fittings but i agree with Oliver. Maybe the fittings have backed off from repeating heat/cool cycles?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 9:29 am

Are you certain the fittings are seated correctly?

I have a few Shark bite fittings in my system that have been in service for 8 years. I have never observed any leaks over the summer, or any other time. I suspect you either got defective fittings, or the pipe was dirty or scratched.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 9:37 am

We have a shark bite problem on The Cape...
And they do dribble a bit...
When the water is red...
Get out of the water...
LOL

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 10:02 am

swyman wrote:
Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 7:19 am
I noticed when my system temp drops to ambient temp (as in a shutdown) the shark bite fittings start leaking. Is there a fix for this.....other than run the system year around? Anyone else have this issue? Mine does it at 3 different locations.
I agree with Rob. I have never seen a sharkbite leak if it was installed properly. I have seen them leak if the plastic insert doesn't seat into the PEX when you connect it. This will cause a leak when that zone cools down.

You need to pop the connection apart and make sure it goes together properly. A little Vaseline on the plastic insert will help it slide into the PEX. Horizontal connections are particularly susceptible to this.

-Don

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 10:02 am

Take it from a three left handed old fart and the vast experience of two weeks and three easy to get to fittings. For small stuff - Propress rules. I don't like Sharkbite.

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 10:16 am

This is the first time I've read about dribbling shark bite fittings but it's why I've held off using them. Rob stated his haven't leaked in 8 years. Could those that have cold leakage under stagnant conditions please post up how long their fittings have been in use? Are we talking PEX or Copper?

What I pondered could happen is corrosion at the internal shark bite o-ring and pipe joint. If the water is corrosive and goes through a number of seasonal use cycles, couldn't it corrode the copper pipe exposed to the water beyond/inside the shark bite fitting? Maybe this is why it happens to some (with corrosive water?) and not others, IDK. Then again maybe Rob is right and there was a bad batch sold.

I've been reading about RVs a lot lately and they keep a roll of self-fusing silicon tape handy. I've read it's good above boiler loop water temperatures. Perhaps a few wraps of this would stop the weeping problem for a long time. Here's a link to a brand I hear more RVers refer to most often: http://www.rescuetape.com/

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 10:28 am

Self- fusing tape is a nice quick fix...
2 years later still holding...
Pinhole leak on water main...
Just above our shut off...
But requires street main to be closed...
Good thing neighbor works for the water department...
LOL...

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 10:30 am

I am using a few Sharkbites in copper to copper connections, and copper to Pex.

I cleaned the copper really well with steel wool and made sure it was smooth prior to installing the fittings.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 10:31 am

Here's a link to a brand I hear more RVers refer to most often: http://www.rescuetape.com/
Another life saving invention for me in PVC water lines. Thx.

During my wasted youth a ladies nylon stocking was a good fan belt fix. Now we have new ideas.

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 12:41 pm

coalnewbie wrote:
Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 10:31 am

During my wasted youth a ladies nylon stocking was a good fan belt fix. Now we have new ideas.
I never had luck using them to replace those new fangled serpentine belts. Seems the clearance is to tight for the garder straps to clear.

But you can't beat that Rescue Tape to get you out of a bind. Used it once on a busted heater hose.

Paulie

swyman

Post by swyman » Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 12:55 pm

oliver power wrote:
Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 7:47 am

Oh Nooooo, You didn't use shark bites through out all your plumbing, or did you?????
No, just in a couple spots

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”