Selecting a boiler

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 4:40 pm

Jeez Mike, it seems like you and I are always talking past one another.
I do agree with at least portions of Don's comments on efficiency, and disagree with the proposition that lay people can't form reasoned views and beliefs regarding efficiency issues unless they have performed complex measurements and analysis.
Reasoned views and beliefs are not what I was talking about. If someone is looking for hard data about the overall efficiency of the boilers mentioned, I'll stand by my comment that there is a lack of detailed information about it. There is a lot of general discussion and experience shared by forum members, and discussion about how much the size of the heat exchanger matters, but I am not aware of a single example of where someone did a controlled study to prove it. Most people would probably say that is not necessary, and that is up to them. I try to make decisions off facts rather than opinions, but I'll admit it is a lonely camp to hang out in.
It does mean that you don't necessarily have to pay more for efficiency, because sometimes you can find it in units that are older or out of production.
That was the main point I was trying to make. Glad we agree.

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 4:52 pm

No worries. It's pretty much the definition of dialogue to "exchange...ideas or opinions on a particular issue...with a view to reaching an amicable agreement or settlement", so I think we've accomplished that. But I really thought I was going to hear from Don on this. :lol:

Mike

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 6:20 pm

I was trying to give the guy more options. It seems like this thread and his other thread people were pushing him into the 520 for an under fed stoker. My opinion is the 520 is not the best boiler EFM has ever made. Van Wert and Gentleman Janitor might be better options if he can find one.

Mike, I forgot about Wagner, but then again, it's been a long time since I have seen a Wagner for sale.

-Don

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 6:22 pm

We sure do like our little Keystoker kaa-4. We have burned almost 4 tons this year so far and have not lifted a single bucket of coal. We implemented a coal vac system this year and burn a rice/buck mix. I did research augers but quickly abandoned the idea after seeing all the dust they generate.

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 6:57 pm

StokerDon wrote:
Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 6:20 pm
I was trying to give the guy more options. It seems like this thread and his other thread people were pushing him into the 520 for an under fed stoker. My opinion is the 520 is not the best boiler EFM has ever made. Van Wert and Gentleman Janitor might be better options if he can find one.

Mike, I forgot about Wagner, but then again, it's been a long time since I have seen a Wagner for sale.
Yes, giving options is good. I'm a bit biased toward the older equipment, but I try to keep an open mind about legitimate reasons people may have for preferring newer stuff. In the end, it's their decision, and like you I hope for it to be an informed one. Sorry if it came across like I was barking at you, but it seemed like the OP had put in a lot of effort in his research, and I didn't want him to feel like he was getting a bad grade on it.

Mike

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 8:00 pm

StokerDon wrote:
Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 6:20 pm
My opinion is the 520 is not the best boiler EFM has ever made.
-Don
REALLY !!! :what:
So i was sold the inferior EFM model ?? :o
I guess i better start saving my pennies again... i gotta have the best model. :P

Which model ?? :?

:idea: Gotta get 1 of those units that i might have a hard time finding... that will be the best one.

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 8:42 pm

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder. All boilers listed have their strengths and limitations and as we don’t live in cookie cutter houses some units will work better in certain applications than others. However, the good news is that all these boilers previously listed are built for the long haul and as long as the water jacket is not rotted, the burners can be rebuilt again and again.

My lone suggestion is to keep parts availability in mind, call your local dealers and see what lines are available to them. The most efficient boiler on the planet is not very efficient when you have a 2 day wait for burner parts. One of the boiler makes that was suggested earlier, if I’m correct, has not been produced for decades. And not to take away from them because they were very well made units...and parts ARE still available. However, I know of one place and one place only where you likely will be able to obtain certain castings and various parts. Those hard to find parts can come at a premium cost too. If you live in the middle of coal country = no problem. It takes a day or so to send parts to New York State though.

With that being said... I am not nieave enough to think that all EFM or Keystoker dealers keep a full stock of parts on hand at all times just because the sign hangs on the front of the building. Nope, I’ve spent way to much time in the trucking business to have missed that.

EDIT... Rob previously brought up parts cost and availability, I missed that earlier in the discussion. I second this motion.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”