What is the best insulated stoker ?

wood2Coal

Post by wood2Coal » Tue. Feb. 13, 2018 9:16 pm

Want to install a new coal stoker in my attached, well insulated, radiant heated garage. I am concerned that the heat given off from the boiler body will keep the space too warm. Is this a valid concern ? If so, which stoker is best for the task ? New to the forum, thanks for any advice.

wood2Coal

Post by wood2Coal » Wed. Feb. 14, 2018 6:12 am

Have pretty much decided on the DS machine aqua stoker, love the viewing glass door. Just concerned with excessive radiant heat into the room. Any experiences ?

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Wed. Feb. 14, 2018 7:04 am

wood2Coal wrote:
Wed. Feb. 14, 2018 6:12 am
Have pretty much decided on the DS machine aqua stoker, love the viewing glass door. Just concerned with excessive radiant heat into the room. Any experiences ?
Very new. I doubt that DS has sold more than a handful of these yet. They do look mighty nice though.

An open fire in a garage may not be entirely safe though.

franpipeman
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm 520 stoker fitzgibbons pressure vessel
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman, russo
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: alpine propane condensing boiler radiant floor

Post by franpipeman » Wed. Feb. 14, 2018 8:04 am

Ignition sources in residential garages can be safe and accepted if you follow the various regulations on e of which is below . Local jurisdictions have authority and more of regs like this may be applied. Some state combustion air must be taken from outside and not the residential portion of the building and more..... research required.
UPC 507.13 Installation in Garages.
Appliances in garages and in adjacent spaces that open to the garage and are not part of the living space of a dwelling unit shall be installed so that burners and burner-ignition devices are located not less than 18 inches (457 mm) above the floor unless listed as flammable vapor ignition resistant. [NFPA 54:9.1.10.1]

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Wed. Feb. 14, 2018 8:19 am

That means you will either need to install the boiler on a pedastal or keep all gas jugs,& all gasoline powered vehicles including lawn/garden equipment out of the garage.

OR.... Risk the possibility of fire & gasoline fumes going BOOM.. :what: :o

Which unit sheds the least heat ???
Is that like asking if Ford,Chevy,Toyota ,Dodge or Ram ? makes the best truck.??? :)

A new design like the DS boiler should likely have very good insulation..
Insulating the pipes real good will make a huge difference in shed heat too..

David...
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks 80k output
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507B
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by David... » Wed. Feb. 14, 2018 8:33 am

If you are going to sit and watch the fire in the garage the glass would be nice. My boiler doesn't have a glass door and I'm glad there is one less thing to worry about.

David

wood2Coal

Post by wood2Coal » Wed. Feb. 14, 2018 10:07 am

I personally feel more comfortable with my coal boiler in my attached garage than in a basement. Attached garages are separated by a fire wall, where your basement is right under your living space. Many times with low ceiling heights and exposed floor joists. I will check all applicable codes before install though.

David...
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks 80k output
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507B
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by David... » Wed. Feb. 14, 2018 10:52 am

I believe the risk from fire with a coal fired boiler is as low as an oil or gas boiler. I have one in my basement and my ceiling is only 6'5" at best. That said, you should be comfortable in your house.

David

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Feb. 14, 2018 11:25 am

I think all of the units with insulated cabinets are about the same. I went a step farther on my EFM and insulated the piping, base and fire door also.

If your garage is tight you will probably need to add a vent for makeup air.

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Wed. Feb. 14, 2018 11:33 am

I agree with David's comments on fire risks. If the OP is switching from wood I understand the sensitivity to fire issues, but coal does not generate creosote and is comparatively difficult to ignite, so it doesn't carry risks comparable to wood. That said, handfired units and some stokers do carry a risk of "puff-backs", as discussed in other threads. I'm more concerned about fire issues with my gas boiler than I ever have been with coal.

Mike

wood2Coal

Post by wood2Coal » Wed. Feb. 14, 2018 12:32 pm

Thanks for all the he replies can't wait to get it all set up and post some pics. The ds stoker is very new, but looks to have a lot of the great features from other boilers put together. Being able to see the coal fire without opening the door just seems like a cool feature also. Time will tell.

Olllotj
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KB-8
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat
Other Heating: Utica Propane Hot Water

Post by Olllotj » Wed. Feb. 14, 2018 1:54 pm

There are pictures around of guys that reinsulated the boiler with foil backed foam. Then reinstall the sheetmetal, might need to get creative.

I doubt the insulation is anything crazy, most cases it's nice to have the boiler shed some heat to the space around it.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 8:17 am

Most of my heat in the basement is from the piping (tubing), not the boiler itself. I have 500 feet of un-insulated tubing through out my basement. Basement stays 68* with piping only. Yes, some heat comes from the boiler, but no where near enough to heat my 65' basement to an even 68* through out. Like has already been said, a little heat from the boiler can be a good thing. If concerned of too much heat loss, insulate the piping.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”