OWB vs Stoker coal consumption

Clousseau
Stoker Coal Boiler: KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice Coal

Post by Clousseau » Sat. Feb. 03, 2018 1:47 pm

I burned wood for the past 30+ years at my home in the Berkshires. The house is a 2200 sq. ft. log home built 42 years ago. I felled, cut, split, stacked & moved 10 cords/yr. for 30+ years from my property. By burning coal, I am using about 5 1/2 tons to heat the house for same period of time - from early October until about the end of May. My old wood boiler, an HB Smith Mills Series boiler, was in my basement running a single zone hot water baseboard system with domestic hot water. I am now 64 yrs. old and am very happy to not have to deal with wood anymore! I can move 6 tons of bagged rice coal into my basement in less than 6 hrs. with my wife helping me. We do it in 3 ton picks, twice during the year.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sat. Feb. 03, 2018 7:47 pm

coaledsweat wrote:
Sat. Feb. 03, 2018 10:46 am
That's 400#, not bad for a week.
No, not bad at all....... That was with my first coal stove; (the Vermont Castings Vigilant), in the little, well insulated house. Very cheap to heat.

I still use the place as one of my shops. It has propane heat now, as I don't heat it all the time. Only when working there, which is quite often. I go through 100 gallons of propane per winter. Yes, not bad.....

miner1979570
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentlemen janitor GJ-9R
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF250
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat and Nut

Post by miner1979570 » Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 2:15 am

Rob R. wrote:
Sat. Feb. 03, 2018 8:30 am
Perhaps you auger setup is part of the problem as well. Pitted feed pipe, too much auger into the coal, etc. I have heard of others complaining about fines from Superior, but never that the coal was so soft it broke in the auger. Just something to keep in mind when you get ready to refresh that GJ stoker.

With that said, the coal from the Hazelton area is definitely very hard.
The main auger off the stub is 30” long and tube and auger are only one year old as well as knuckle joint. Auger in furnace is about 10 year old but looks fine so far. Furnace never produced fines like this with hazelton coal or Sherman prep but had fusion problems there. This is the absolute worst coal I ever bought. I have pics up in another post

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”