Smoke out of Hopper- EFM

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Tue. Jan. 30, 2018 9:01 am

You're right Mike! It states as a last resort the bin auger may be shortened. No where does it state that it is permissible to use just the pot auger. Most every one I know that was running just a pot auger has ended up getting an extension of some kind from me. Most of those people didn't buy their units from me.

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Tue. Jan. 30, 2018 9:25 am

The manual places no limits on how much you can shorten the bin auger, and only prohibits shortening the pot auger. As long as you are running with no less than a complete pot auger and a tight lid on the feed drum, you are in compliance with what the manual says about short augers.

I know of some people who have deliberately started with a short auger and drum, and moved to a full bin auger set-up as part of their longer term plan for handling coal. Good for you if you got a little business out of selling them auger components. Some people prefer to use the drum to save those $ or to accommodate tight spaces where a full bin auger set-up would be problematic. I don't buy your claim that people can't and don't successfully do that.

Mike

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Tue. Jan. 30, 2018 9:40 am

Last January when my EFM was first installed I used the pot auger only . I did use a drum with a sealing lid and had no issues with it. This year I added the bin auger and built a new coal bin.

nyurch
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520 Coal/Oil
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Oil Option

Post by nyurch » Fri. Feb. 09, 2018 7:57 pm

Hey everyone, sorry for the lack of reply but no changes. Had my plumber stop by and he cleared my pot that was partially blocked but same thing is happening with the smoke coming out through the hopper. Didn't change air settings at 4 1/2 and my chimney is clear but I'm getting it cleaned because I'm getting some build up (a selfie stick and a cell phone is amazing to check your chimney!). Plumber is stopping by again tomorrow.. tonight I even put my new co2 detector on top of the hopper with light smoke coming through with no alarm. The oiled coal smells, i will never do this again. I am waiting to get more room to add 2 ton in my bin but have to wait 2 more weeks or so as long as it is cold. I never ran oiled coal until a few people told me it was awesome... this is not cool at all!

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”