Axeman Anderson and Leisure Line design???

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 11:45 am

I'm just looking for some insight as to where my boiler, a Leisure Line AA-220, comes from? I know the AA is Axeman Anderson and 220 is the rated output or so they claim. In doing Google research all I can seem to find related to AA is the Anthratube? I keep reading how brilliant Axeman and Anderson were at building efficient heat exchangers but I can't find anything on how mine is designed. Just looking for a little history of my boiler and how it came to be. Was my pressure vessel a pre Anthratube design that LL used and is the Pocano stoker LL design also? I'm starting to get a fascination for this stuff but don't know much about the history so I have been trying to educate myself. I'll do a little research on EFM pressure vessel design also, don't have a clue how they are transferring heat?

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 11:57 am

When it comes to heating larger homes or commercial buildings and greenhouses our newly designed Leisure Line AA-220 boiler is your best bet. The AA-220 is a two piece
design with a Leisure Line base unit featuring our reliable Double-Pocono coal stoker feeder. The pressure vessel unit sits on top and is manufactured by Axeman-Anderson
with over 60 years experience in the industry. This boiler configuration was introduced in 2011 and has proven to be reliable and efficient.

This AA-220 hydronic, UL Tested boiler is capable of heating the typical single family home up to 5,000 sq. ft. The AA-220 unit is also certified to be used in commercial
building structures with a concrete or stone floor. This quality American made 375k btuh rated pressure vessel is a double pass, vertical firetube design with 49 sq ft of
heating surface, 42 gallon water capacity, and is ASME certified. With it’s massive heating surface and double pass design this unit yields up to 90% efficiency while providing responsive operation. Even though low in price this boiler is not short on features, it comes standard with the following components: Honeywell 7124 Electronic Triple Aquastat, Honeywell 6006A High Limit; a idle fire circuit to keep the fire lit; a 5 GPM Domestic Hot Water Coil; large ash pan and 320# hopper; 220K btuh input coal double stoker unit. The feeder and flue outlet locations are changeable for right or left hand installation.
Quick version...
The pressure vessel unit sits on top and is manufactured by Axeman-Anderson
with over 60 years experience in the industry. This quality American made 375k btuh rated pressure vessel is a double pass, vertical firetube design with 49 sq ft of
heating surface, 42 gallon water capacity, and is ASME certified. With it’s massive heating surface and double pass design this unit yields up to 90% efficiency while providing responsive operation.

swyman

Post by swyman » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 12:03 pm

Yea I read the flyer on their site also.... not the answer I am looking for. Is this a early design? Is the Anthratube their best design and what they went with for their production that still sells today?

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 12:10 pm

swyman wrote:
Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 12:03 pm
Yea I read the flyer on their site also.... not the answer I am looking for. Is this a early design? Is the Anthratube their best design and what they went with for their production that still sells today?
Sorry SM, about the only thing the LL-AA220 has in common with an Axeman Anderson is the fact that they burn anthracite coal.
The Axeman Anderson was designed and went into production in the 1940's. It is still in production today and is regarded by some to be the most efficient coal boiler design ever. There have been no major changes to the design since the beginning.
The Eshland and AHS Coal Gun are the same basic design. I have never heard of any other boiler that is anything like it.

-Don

swyman

Post by swyman » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 12:18 pm

StokerDon wrote:
Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 12:10 pm
Sorry SM, about the only thing the LL-AA220 has in common with an Axeman Anderson is the fact that they burn anthracite coal.
The Axeman Anderson was designed and went into production in the 1940's. It is still in production today and is regarded by some to be the most efficient coal boiler design ever. There have been no major changes to the design since the beginning.
The Eshland and AHS Coal Gun are the same basic design. I have never heard of any other boiler that is anything like it.

-Don
I guess my confusion lies in the orientation... it seems similar to mine but the tubes are horizontal, which in my boiler they are vertical.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman

Post by StokerDon » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 12:28 pm

swyman wrote:
Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 12:18 pm
I guess my confusion lies in the orientation... it seems similar to mine but the tubes are horizontal, which in my boiler they are vertical.
Sounds like your boiler is a fire tube boiler that is built in the Axeman Anderson plant. The Axemans don't have tubes at all.
AA130Manual.pdf
.PDF | 7.1MB | AA130Manual.pdf
AxemanAnthratube.pdf
.PDF | 1044.9KB | AxemanAnthratube.pdf
-Don

swyman

Post by swyman » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 12:46 pm

StokerDon wrote:
Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 12:28 pm
The Axemans don't have tubes at all.

-Don
Interesting! Wish I lived near coal country so I could see all these different designs in action!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 12:50 pm

The pressure vessell in the LL220 is an Axeman oil boiler.

swyman

Post by swyman » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 12:54 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 12:50 pm
The pressure vessell in the LL220 is an Axeman oil boiler.
That makes more sense...didn't research those.

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 12:58 pm

swyman wrote:
Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 12:46 pm
Interesting! Wish I lived near coal country so I could see all these different designs in action!
I have lived near coal country all my life. Until about 3 weeks ago, I had never seen an Axeman Anderson in person. The main reason I wanted one was because I couldn't figure out how they worked!

Now I know, kind of.

-Don

swyman

Post by swyman » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 1:05 pm

StokerDon wrote:
Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 12:58 pm
I have lived near coal country all my life. Until about 3 weeks ago, I had never seen an Axeman Anderson in person. The main reason I wanted one was because I couldn't figure out how they worked!

Now I know, kind of.

-Don
How well does that fly ash separator work? Just wondering how well it eliminates it?

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 1:06 pm

I believe that the LL-AA220 (as well as the 110) starts out life as an AA boiler intended for oil, NG, or Propane, and LL modifies it to add a coal stoker to it. Ditto for the LL forced air furnaces.

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 1:18 pm

swyman wrote:
Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 1:05 pm
How well does that fly ash separator work? Just wondering how well it eliminates it?
That's a better question for Larry. He has been running his Coal Gun for quite a few years now and has cleaned it a few times. My 130M has only been running for a week and a half now. The separator does spit the fly ash out on top of the other ash so it looks like it works.

-Don

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 1:31 pm

Yup there’s nothing alike, It’s very cool to see one in person, it’s hard to understand the operation without.

swyman

Post by swyman » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 1:33 pm

StokerDon wrote:
Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 1:18 pm
That's a better question for Larry. He has been running his Coal Gun for quite a few years now and has cleaned it a few times. My 130M has only been running for a week and a half now. The separator does spit the fly ash out on top of the other ash so it looks like it works.

-Don
I have burned 2 ton so far and noticed my draft has went down. Inspected the breech of the boiler and there wasn't very much under the 3' vertical flue. I went outside and inspected the PV and it was about plugged. Pulled the PV motor/fan assy out and there wasn't a whole lot there. Just didn't think I would get that much fly ash with a 12' flue run? Seemed to just stick to fan blades and exhaust deflectors. How often so those of you with a chimney have to clean it out?

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”