Axeman Anderson and Leisure Line design???

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 2:49 pm

StokerDon wrote:
Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 1:18 pm
That's a better question for Larry. He has been running his Coal Gun for quite a few years now and has cleaned it a few times. My 130M has only been running for a week and a half now. The separator does spit the fly ash out on top of the other ash so it looks like it works.

-Don
The cyclonic separator works amazingly well. If the flue pipes were given a brush out once each year, you could probably run an AA/AHS boiler for years without having to open it up. I don't even believe I've ever seen much of anything accumulate in the Popes Hat (the cyclonic separator) region. There is a little ash that settles in the bottom regions of the swirl chamber, but I wen't two years between cleanings and it vacuumed right out in about a minute.

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 3:06 pm

lsayre wrote:
Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 2:49 pm
The cyclonic separator works amazingly well. If the flue pipes were given a brush out once each year, you could probably run an AA/AHS boiler for years without having to open it up. I don't even believe I've ever seen much of anything accumulate in the Popes Hat (the cyclonic separator) region. There is a little ash that settles in the bottom regions of the swirl chamber, but I wen't two years between cleanings and it vacuumed right out in about a minute.
Sounds like a great design!

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 3:22 pm

The Axeman uses a cyclonic separator before the exhaust heads up the chimney to remove the ash. It then drops into the ash bucket. That said, the monster blower can still huff ash out the top of the chimney at startup.

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 4:09 pm

The appeal with the LL boiler, at least up here in MA would be the oil gun is also in place so if you choose to burn oil you can do so efficiently. The reviews on the LL110 on here seem mixed.

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 5:21 pm

ASea wrote:
Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 4:09 pm
The appeal with the LL boiler, at least up here in MA would be the oil gun is also in place so if you choose to burn oil you can do so efficiently. The reviews on the LL110 on here seem mixed.
That was not an option on my boiler but I have propane for a backup. I'll have to do a search on here so I can find it. Not sure if the pressure vessel is the same is mine but the stoker is the same, mine just has 2

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 5:29 pm

Hello Swyman,

A lot of it has to do with positive and negative charges causing the buildup do to the air flow-much like box fan does over time with the dust particles clinging to the fan blades.

I soaked my barometric damper in hot water this year and scraped off all the fine dust on the back side of the damper door and there was a huge amount of fly ash stuck to it and it had a layer of oil soot around it as well but that came off quickly too.

Anytime you move air for combustion or heating/scorched air you have this and seeing the poor cat tormented by
the simple act of walking across the carpet or brushing up against you and getting zapped is a prime example.

I have seen 2 inch sparks on our cats at times when that happens.

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 5:58 pm

ASea wrote:
Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 4:09 pm
================================================================================================

The WL110 has a smaller pressure vessel with smaller capacity so that is one thing to consider BUT you can purchase used LP tanks from AHONA and others for additional hot water storage at a low cost per gallon.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”