settings for efm 700

mannyg
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 700
Coal Size/Type: buckwheat

Post by mannyg » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 11:15 am

Boiler cannot satisfy thermostats, takes too long. The water temp stays at 140-160 is that because too cold outside, below freezing, or should I increase feed and adjust air intake? What would be the settings, presently at 5 teeth and 3.5 air. If I increase the air to 5 then the fire dies. There is a setting for warm weather and a setting for cold weather. I had it at 4 to 5 and at 3 air.
What would be the settings for extreme cold weather? Spoke to the coal supplier and he advised 6-8 teeth and 8-9 air, which does not work. So does anyone know what the proper settings should be.
Please advise Manny G
You can email me at [email protected] or text at 845 596-0934
Thank you

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 11:21 am

Call the EFM folks in Emmaus PA. they will help you.

(610)-965-9041

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 12:23 pm

mannyg wrote:
Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 11:15 am
Boiler cannot satisfy thermostats, takes too long. The water temp stays at 140-160 is that because too cold outside, below freezing, or should I increase feed and adjust air intake? What would be the settings, presently at 5 teeth and 3.5 air. If I increase the air to 5 then the fire dies. There is a setting for warm weather and a setting for cold weather. I had it at 4 to 5 and at 3 air.
What would be the settings for extreme cold weather? Spoke to the coal supplier and he advised 6-8 teeth and 8-9 air, which does not work. So does anyone know what the proper settings should be.
Please advise Manny G
You can email me at [email protected] or text at 845 596-0934
Thank you
Welcome Manny,

If you are running 5 teeth and increasing the air setting to 5 from 3.5 makes the fire die, something is wrong. Is a sheer pin broke? something stuck in the auger? Sounds like it is not feeding enough coal.

-Don

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 1:42 pm

Leon, you may not find anyone at EFM who knows much about 700's. I think the last one was made in about 1970.

Don, I agree it sounds funny, but he's burning buck, and increasing the air could easily push the fire back into the throat so it goes out on a timer cycle that previously would have held it.

mannyg I don't think there is a manual that will tell you what to do here. You are the operator, and you should be setting the feed and air to produce about a 2" ring of dead ash around the outside of the fire after a long run (45+ minutes). If that doesn't provide enough output, increase the feed and increase the air enough to maintain the 2" ring. Repeat as needed. Sometimes the needed settings change from what you're used to due to different batches of coal, weather extremes, etc. If you monitor the fire and the overall output you should be able to adjust to conditions as they change.

Mike

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 5:06 pm

I agree with you mike it does not sound right. If he has scooped out the dead coal and ash that would reduce the resistance created by the ash and coal in the underfed pot.

Are existing 700's a direct to gear drive unit or belt to gear drive? Loose belt maybe?, That would explain it if the shear pin is not broken.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”