Check those flue's

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 7:30 pm

I noticed my draft dropped today once the wind let up. That usually means fly ash in the pipes. I pulled the flue outlet cover on the inside of my kaa-4 to check and sure enough, it was 1/3 full of fly ash. I vacuumed it out and buttoned it back up. The draft jumped to -0.03. We cleaned it in late September and I'm guessing the excessive idling during the warm fall added most of the ash and running hard during this latest cold spell added just enough to really affect the draft in a short period. Reset the draft to -0.0225 and we're ready for the next cold snap...

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 8:03 pm

It happened at my Mom’s a few years ago. We usually clean it in October and January or February her CO detector goes off because the flu is all but blocked with fly ash. I have not had a problem so far going 12 months but the old KA6 has a 9” stack, Mom’s old Loline/EFM has a 7” and she burns more coal than I do.

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Tue. Jan. 09, 2018 10:17 am

Depends on the coal. Last year i had to open up the pipes for every ton of coal burned ,were half full. Some years i can go the whole season. I feel the pipe from the outside. OR you can use a laser temp reader to find the level of fly ash inside by the temp diff in the pipe. Fly ash insulates the pipe form the heat.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Jan. 09, 2018 1:17 pm

I check the cleanout on mine between Xmas and New Year. The coal I have this year creates very little flyash compared to some other seasons.

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Tue. Jan. 09, 2018 3:15 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Tue. Jan. 09, 2018 1:17 pm
I check the cleanout on mine between Xmas and New Year. The coal I have this year creates very little flyash compared to some other seasons.
How often should you check them? Last year I would do a full cleanup after 5 ton. There was a lot of fly ash build up on the top of my heat exchanger but I guess that's to be expected. Just wondering what's the best way? I have burned 1 1/2 ton so far this season.

nepacoal

Post by nepacoal » Tue. Jan. 09, 2018 4:21 pm

I've seen on here that many do a mid heating season cleanout. It's both for safety to clear fly ash and to raise efficiency by cleaning boiler walls or heat exchangers, usually in late December or early January to get ready for the coldest parts of winter. Like Rob mentioned above, each load of coal is different. I watch my draft gauge and know to check if it starts dropping noticeably. I think a mid season clean out would be a good timeframe in addition to the end of season clean out.

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Tue. Jan. 09, 2018 4:59 pm

nepacoal wrote:
Tue. Jan. 09, 2018 4:21 pm
I've seen on here that many do a mid heating season cleanout. It's both for safety to clear fly ash and to raise efficiency by cleaning boiler walls or heat exchangers, usually in late December or early January to get ready for the coldest parts of winter. Like Rob mentioned above, each load of coal is different. I watch my draft gauge and know to check if it starts dropping noticeably. I think a mid season clean out would be a good timeframe in addition to the end of season clean out.
Thanks, I have a pair of Dwyers that I haven't hooked up yet but I do have a hand held that I check every couple days.

CRAZYBOBDS
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Heitzer 503
Other Heating: Oil

Post by CRAZYBOBDS » Tue. Jan. 09, 2018 5:35 pm

I have a Hitzer 503 fireplace insert. How would i go about checking the flue. I’ve burned about 3 tons over three years but have not cleaned I.T because I.T did not create creosote. I never thought of ash piling up. I can’t remeber if they had to turn the flue or of I.T went straight in when they installed I.T.

Seems to be drafting fine i can even here I.T sucking air through the intake on the ash door sometimes. No issues getting hot.

I’ve never tried to move the stove but I.T took 4 guys to get I.T in there and i have hardwood floors in front of I.T. Covered by one of those flame resistant rugs.

Any suggestions? Thanks!!

Bob

nepacoal

Post by nepacoal » Tue. Jan. 09, 2018 5:55 pm

I don't have any experience with an insert so hopefully someone will come along that does. I would expect fly ash to build up over time but the insert certainly adds a little complexity to the cleaning process.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Jan. 09, 2018 8:07 pm

swyman wrote:
Tue. Jan. 09, 2018 3:15 pm
How often should you check them? Last year I would do a full cleanup after 5 ton. There was a lot of fly ash build up on the top of my heat exchanger but I guess that's to be expected. Just wondering what's the best way? I have burned 1 1/2 ton so far this season.
Some units are more sensitive to flyash than others, and the coal can vary quite a bit as well, so there is no hard set rule. I think if you check everything over after 1.5-2 tons, you will have a good feel for what it needs. if you notice anything different like condensation in the hopper, lazy fire, odor when stoker starts, or unusually high coal consumption, that is an indication that the unit needs to be cleaned and/or draft checked.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Wed. Jan. 10, 2018 5:48 pm

the 503 flue goes straight up from the back...
Any ash should drop down so it can be vacuumed of the back baffle.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”