vermontday
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520

Post by vermontday » Sat. Jan. 06, 2018 7:18 pm

All good!!

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Sat. Jan. 06, 2018 8:46 pm

That's funny Paul, I'm the service mechanic that has to double as a driver when the SHTF. :lol:

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Jan. 06, 2018 10:36 pm

cabinover wrote:
Sat. Jan. 06, 2018 8:46 pm
That's funny Paul, I'm the service mechanic that has to double as a driver when the SHTF. :lol:
I hope you don't have the same growl and mean look that Sal had. They wouldn't let him do deliveries - too scary looking on his best days. :o

Paul

cabinover

Post by cabinover » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 10:04 am

At times....wrenches and hammers have been known to levitate and fly across the garage.

top top

Post by top top » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 11:29 am

vermontday wrote:
Fri. Jan. 05, 2018 11:13 am
........... She never let's her car gas tank get below 1/2 a tank,......................Two weeks ago I had looked up the oil price to show a neighbor that was contemplating pellets and it was $2.50/gal.
Mine has run out of gas in the driveway. Several times. When I was trucking we only had one personal vehicle, seemed pointless to tag and insure another when I was never home anyway. Was aggravating when I had to put lawnmower gas in it or risk walking the last mile to a station. But she doesn't do that anymore. I guess I finally got through to her & it only took about 38 years of marriage.

On another board a liberal lawyer got pi$$ed at me when he found out I was using coal. He was extolling the virtues of his new pellet stove. I guess "educated idiots" really is a thing.

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 12:57 pm

I made up my mind to change suppliers last fall after Suburban Propain let me run out of fuel after the fourth time 5 years ago. The tank is empty now as I used up the 4 year old fuel and will keep it empty until I do need oil again.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 1:42 pm

lzaharis wrote:
Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 12:57 pm
I made up my mind to change suppliers last fall after Suburban Propain let me run out of fuel after the fourth time 5 years ago. The tank is empty now as I used up the 4 year old fuel and will keep it empty until I do need oil again.
Got rid of Suburban shortly after the bought out Agway's pro-pain operation around here. They had a big price jump, so I jumped to their local competition.

Paul

dcveem3
Stoker Coal Boiler: Someday!
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum (temp basement duty)
Other Heating: Propane/Heat Pump

Post by dcveem3 » Sat. Jan. 20, 2018 8:30 pm

My first experience in our new home with HP/Propane. Decided to do a "remodel" 4 years ago in the dead of winter. Was heating an extra 1400ft/2 with NO insulation. 500g buried tank said 30%. 3 days later I wake up at 1am and smell rotten eggs....and it was cold!! REAL COLD!! I had no idea I was out of fuel. Rookie. Went outside and saw the gauge was at "0". Called our propane co. and they came. I tipped the driver 40 bucks and he said you don't have to do that. I said I'd give you more if I had the cash on me! He asked where the fuel was going...LOL!! I opened up the front door on the newly sided addition and he looked in and said, "I'll be back next week too"!!

Insulation crew showed up 2 weeks later...man, what a difference.

Don

cabinover

Post by cabinover » Sat. Jan. 20, 2018 9:35 pm

And that is just how this stuff happens sometimes. And with an underground, or any tank for that matter, you can't always depend on that gauge. Most times they are pretty close but they can stick as well until boom, they drop to the proper level.

Good on you for tipping the guy. Don't know about him, and I'd bet he's no different from the rest of any delivery guys, but they are out there to do a couple things.
1. Take care of their families like anyone else.
2. Do what they have to do to get the job done no matter the adverse conditions, we just dress warmer than most folks. :lol:

I, for one, am extremely glad this cold snap is over. On the downside the snow is going to be gone by Tuesday and that sucks. Really hard to ride on bumpy woods roads and grass. Time to move to Colorado...or Utah...or NM...somewhere out west.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”