3 year vet still needs fire help with pics

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 10:27 am

I think having the coil put some heat out without the blower running probably increases the comfort level in the house? If it is not making the house too warm I would just let the circulator run.

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 10:37 am

Rob R. wrote:
Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 10:27 am
I think having the coil put some heat out without the blower running probably increases the comfort level in the house? If it is not making the house too warm I would just let the circulator run.
I guess it probably helps....I am getting a lot of floor heat, the basement is HOTT! Don't have a thermometer down there but it is nice and toasty! Feeling really good about everything, now it's time to start cleaning

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 10:52 am

The basement is hot from the boiler heat?

swyman

Post by swyman » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 11:37 am

Rob R. wrote:
Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 10:52 am
The basement is hot from the boiler heat?
Yes sir. Headed to Menards in a little bit, I'll grab a thermometer.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 11:59 am

If the basement is too warm I would plan on insulating the boiler piping.

swyman

Post by swyman » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 2:38 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 11:59 am
If the basement is too warm I would plan on insulating the boiler piping.
I think that would be a good thing to do. Bought a thermometer and 2 new co2 detectors. Now that this thing is in the house, I need to be more safety conscious. Figured I would put 1 in the living room above the boiler, one in the bedroom by where the PV exhaust is, and one in the boiler room.

swyman

Post by swyman » Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 5:34 pm

Had a defeated day trying to hook up my nice fancy Taco circulator controller only to blow 3 fuses in my furnace controller. Each have their own 24v power and I'm trying to figure out a way to energize the Taco circuit using my strap on aquastat. I believe I can use a relay from the aquastat to trigger the circuit on the controller. I burned #174 last 24 hours with no propane assistance and single digit temps.... Extremely pleased! Have a happy new year y'all!

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 5:47 pm

swyman wrote:
Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 5:34 pm
Had a defeated day trying to hook up my nice fancy Taco circulator controller only to blow 3 fuses in my furnace controller. Each have their own 24v power and I'm trying to figure out a way to energize the Taco circuit using my strap on aquastat. I believe I can use a relay from the aquastat to trigger the circuit on the controller. I burned #174 last 24 hours with no propane assistance and single digit temps.... Extremely pleased! Have a happy new year y'all!
Ok... so what did you do to finally get the coal boiler to handle the job without the propain furnace helping ?? It obviously does not yet involve the extra aquastat.

swyman

Post by swyman » Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 5:54 pm

windyhill4.2 wrote:
Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 5:47 pm
Ok... so what did you do to finally get the coal boiler to handle the job without the propain furnace helping ?? It obviously does not yet involve the extra aquastat.
I got a little more heat out of the unit and the extra aquastat is running as advertised. Tried changing circulator speeds and no matter what I do I'm losing 5-8* circulating through that coil with no call for heat. I bought one of those Taco circulator zone controllers so I thought I would hook it up to control that circulator and turn it off when no call for heat in that zone, figuring it would help with boiler recovery speed?

swyman

Post by swyman » Sun. Dec. 31, 2017 6:02 pm

I'm still convinced when the winds come I will need propane assistance but only in extreme weather conditions.....I hope. Yesterday I burned #183 (174 today) and I don't think it can burn much more than that so by that number it does not put out the heat of that EFM you have. I have a buddy asking me about burning coal, when he gets real serious I will steer him towards that unit for sure. The only way I could tell if I could get more out of this baby is to install a chimney as my power vent is the restriction. I have a few more threads left and a whole lot of combustion blower adjustment?

Olllotj
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KB-8
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat
Other Heating: Utica Propane Hot Water

Post by Olllotj » Tue. Jan. 02, 2018 2:05 pm

How's it goin?

swyman

Post by swyman » Tue. Jan. 02, 2018 3:14 pm

Olllotj wrote:
Tue. Jan. 02, 2018 2:05 pm
How's it goin?
Everything was working perfect, even hooked up the strap on aquastat to automatically control the propane fire if the boiler temp went to low. Then I decided to hook up my Taco zone controller to stop the main house zone as I am losing 5-8* just cycling water with no heat call. Figured if I shut that circulator down with no heat call, the boiler would recover quicker. So the taco hook up seemed easy enough, zones are turned on by R and W from a tstat right, well I hooked it up to the aquastat and I blew a fuse on my furnace control board. Put in new fuse and thought I did something wrong and made a change and blew another one. Found out that that Taco has it's own 24v system so I was doubling the voltage. Had to go to town and get a fuse since I was out....only could find a 10a (needed 5a) and hooked it back up the way it worked with circulator running non stop. Worked fine the rest of the night and at noon on new years day I seen the boiler was in idle fire so I knew something wasn't right since it was 6* out. Sure enough I had no power on the furnace control board and smelled smoked. My buddy told me a place to get one locally today only to find out they will only sell to a licensed HVAC guy. So I ordered 2 from amazon and will be here Thursday. In the mean time I am using the strap on aquastat to cycle the blower in the furnace (I bypassed the controller) and the house thermostat is controlling the circulator through that Taco controller. I figure I damaged the control board the day before so we'll see? 2018 is no fun so far and we have record lows coming all week.

Olllotj
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KB-8
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat
Other Heating: Utica Propane Hot Water

Post by Olllotj » Tue. Jan. 02, 2018 3:50 pm

Every time my electrician finishes a project at my place he says, OK, time for the smoke test :D

Sounds like an expensive lesson, glad that you have it figured out.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”