Recommendations On Converting to Coal Boiler

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Fri. Dec. 01, 2017 9:31 pm

Pacowy wrote:
Fri. Dec. 01, 2017 9:07 pm
Thanks for your concern about my coal mental health. I did burn a half ton or so in the aux furnace recently so as not to totally lose touch....

Mike
Good to hear,i suspect your health will likely improve gradually. :)

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Fri. Dec. 01, 2017 10:11 pm

windyhill4.2 wrote:
Fri. Dec. 01, 2017 8:32 pm

As to the unit i bought... I was told that it was not a rebuilt unit, but just the best pieces that he had available at the time. I would not have considered myself knowledgeable enough at the time to have bought a unit from an ad & not get took.

Dave, I started reading this thread and saw this part of your post. I'm not sure how to take this. As a positive or negative.

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sat. Dec. 02, 2017 8:43 am

Pacowy wrote:
Fri. Dec. 01, 2017 8:07 pm
WH, I tried to be clear that I was talking about the general advice, not specific to Townsend's 260. I'm just trying to make sure people understand the implications of some of the advice that has been dispensed here. If someone really wants all new parts they probably should just consider buying a new unit.

I'm starting to think that some of you guys are trying to take advantage of an old guy's fading memory. You see, I'd swear that when WH bought the unit that now heats his neighborhood, it was from a known (notorious?) rebuilder.

Mike
Scott, to clarify the possible misconception that i bought a rebuilt unit because i bought it from a " rebuilder"..
I decided the best way was to quote you ..."not a rebuilt unit, just the best parts i currently had available."
Scottscoaled wrote:
Fri. Dec. 01, 2017 10:11 pm

Dave, I started reading this thread and saw this part of your post. I'm not sure how to take this. As a positive or negative.
I can't tell you how that you should think about something. :)

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sat. Dec. 02, 2017 8:51 am

Scottscoaled wrote:
Fri. Dec. 01, 2017 10:11 pm
Off the top of my head figures ...
This unit you sold me has burnt 70 tons +/- :what:
The stoker motor quit & i installed the new in the box motor you sent along...
I can't think of any other repairs or parts replaced by me...

Is that a positive or negative ?? :)

I never cared that much for puppet shows...
Don't ask me to be controlling your thoughts like folks do with puppets... :)

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Dec. 02, 2017 10:02 am

I could not stay away for long.
hick7373 wrote:
Mon. Nov. 27, 2017 1:56 pm
Hello,
I have a 1890's two story farm house(3700 sq.ft) that is currently heated by a single pipe steam oil boiler.
It is pretty hard to describe the positive impact that a coal boiler will have on a house of that size and that age, especially if you have not been using the steam system much due to the cost of oil. Cold house, cold floors, uneven heat -> warm basement, warm floors, house warm through and through. Hopefully you will be able to find a boiler that meets your needs and get it installed this season.

Townsend
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & Harman Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Pea / Nut

Post by Townsend » Mon. Dec. 11, 2017 9:19 pm

What a lively thread!! I apologize for being away so long. After moving into the smaller house I still maintain the larger one and rent it out. I was promoted at work and I travel each day, along with the duties of being a supervisor now and I have very little downtime.
That being said I want to sincerely thank those persons here that said such positive comments about my Axeman refurb. It was indeed a wonderful journey. I learned so much from this incredible forum. I certainly am not a pro, however I tried to be diligent in the refurbishment process and spared no expense. And although pics and videos are not the ‘do all, end all’ when it comes to verifiable facts, they most certainly lend an authoritative air of reliability as to the rebuilding process. Thanks again to those clear minds that are bias free and rational in thought.
I am happy to report Hick7373 made the journey to East Hampton CT and is now, if I may be presumptuous to say, the proud owner of a well mannered Axeman 260. Many boiler accouterments were added to the deal and we came to a mutual agreement on the price. Lastly, it’s kinda nice to have a 1,000 pound boiler carefully loaded into your pickup truck for you.
I know Hick7373 will get some great service out of the “Freight Train” and I’m especially pleased that it will be put into service in a ‘one pipe steam’ home.

Attachments

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Mon. Dec. 11, 2017 9:39 pm

Townsend wrote:
Mon. Dec. 11, 2017 9:19 pm
What a lively thread!! I apologize for being away so long. After moving into the smaller house I still maintain the larger one and rent it out. I was promoted at work and I travel each day, along with the duties of being a supervisor now and I have very little downtime.
That being said I want to sincerely thank those persons here that said such positive comments about my Axeman refurb. It was indeed a wonderful journey. I learned so much from this incredible forum. I certainly am not a pro, however I tried to be diligent in the refurbishment process and spared no expense. And although pics and videos are not the ‘do all, end all’ when it comes to verifiable facts, they most certainly lend an authoritative air of reliability as to the rebuilding process. Thanks again to those clear minds that are bias free and rational in thought.
I am happy to report Hick7373 made the journey to East Hampton CT and is now, if I may be presumptuous to say, the proud owner of a well mannered Axeman 260. Many boiler accouterments were added to the deal and we came to a mutual agreement on the price. Lastly, it’s kinda nice to have a 1,000 pound boiler carefully loaded into your pickup truck for you.
I know Hick7373 will get some great service out of the “Freight Train” and I’m especially pleased that it will be put into service in a ‘one pipe steam’ home.
You forgot to say.... :?

Did the BIG GAUGE go with the train ?? :?: :)

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Dec. 11, 2017 9:55 pm

I never saw paint stick to steam boiler like that thing, phenomenal paint job.

Townsend
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & Harman Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Pea / Nut

Post by Townsend » Mon. Dec. 11, 2017 10:02 pm

Out of the basement and into the truck!

Attachments

BAF54102-234F-4D30-8F74-8708139FD2BA.MOV
.MOV | 47.6MB | BAF54102-234F-4D30-8F74-8708139FD2BA.MOV

northernmainecoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Nut/Stove

Post by northernmainecoal » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 7:22 am

This is great! Hope to see this thread continue with the new install

hick7373
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA260
Coal Size/Type: pea
Other Heating: single pipe steam

Post by hick7373 » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 8:52 am

As Townsend said, I'm the proud new owner of the "freight train". We had a great trip and it was nice to meet Townsend and Coaledsweat yesterday. I have a few small things to address, and she will be pushed into service ASAP. Pics to come. A huge thank you to Townsend, Coaledsweat, and Bob for all the help in getting it out of the basement and into the back of the truck, It made the six hour trip home without issue

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 9:20 am

I couldn't find an impatient smilie... so, i guess i just have to print my thoughts...

HURRY !! & get that steamer hooked up !! :)

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 9:40 am

hick7373 wrote:
Tue. Dec. 12, 2017 8:52 am
As Townsend said, I'm the proud new owner of the "freight train". We had a great trip and it was nice to meet Townsend and Coaledsweat yesterday. I have a few small things to address, and she will be pushed into service ASAP. Pics to come. A huge thank you to Townsend, Coaledsweat, and Bob for all the help in getting it out of the basement and into the back of the truck, It made the six hour trip home without issue
I was looking at that half ton of iron sitting in the corner wondering how we were going to move it. Then Bob showed up and it was gone! Kudos to Bob! That guy can move some iron! :clap:

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”