trying rice coal for the 1st time in efm520

mof1964
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby

Post by mof1964 » Sun. Nov. 26, 2017 2:13 pm

Been using an efm 520 unit since 2008. Been burning bulk buckwheat coal in it since I got it.
This year we have decided to try using bagged coal as well. We have about 2.5 tons of bulk buckwheat left and will use that first and switch over to the bagged rice coal when that is over. We purchased 3 tons of the kimmels bagged rice to give it a whirl. If the bagged coal works well, will consider to switching over entirely to the bagged coal.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Sun. Nov. 26, 2017 4:16 pm

i had a efm af150. i started on buckwheat coal and i switched to rice. i had auger issues with the buckwheat. never a problem with rice unless it had cat turds mixed in.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Nov. 26, 2017 5:24 pm

You will need to find a way to drain the water from the bagged coal before you burn it. A large tote or wheel barrel that you can empty the bags into a few days ahead of time will help a lot.

mof1964

Post by mof1964 » Sun. Nov. 26, 2017 5:38 pm

I was thinking maybe I could just cut a few of the bags open and have them setting around ready to be dumped into the 55 gallon drum?
I have a few extra 55 gallon drums that we can dump into also for the water to drain out.

Is there typically a lot of water in these bags? I have bought bagged nut before and it was damp but water didn't run out when I emptied the bags into the drum that we keep the nut coal in.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Sun. Nov. 26, 2017 5:43 pm

soaked.....i bought some bagged coal at tsc like 2 months ago, the bags seal in the wetness.

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Sun. Nov. 26, 2017 6:55 pm

I just put a hole in the bottom of my 55 gallon drum and put a coffe can under the hole

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Nov. 26, 2017 7:39 pm

mof1964 wrote:
Sun. Nov. 26, 2017 5:38 pm
I was thinking maybe I could just cut a few of the bags open and have them setting around ready to be dumped into the 55 gallon drum?
I have a few extra 55 gallon drums that we can dump into also for the water to drain out.

Is there typically a lot of water in these bags? I have bought bagged nut before and it was damp but water didn't run out when I emptied the bags into the drum that we keep the nut coal in.
You do not want to put un-dried bagged coal into your EFM. It's pretty common for bagged coal to have a lot of water in it. Cutting the top of the bags open will not help either. It's better to just dump it out of the bag to let it dry.
Your in coal country, why don't you just get bulk rice? It's got to be cheaper than bagged.

-Don

mof1964

Post by mof1964 » Sun. Nov. 26, 2017 7:53 pm

we decided to try the ease of the bags this year plus finish off the 2.5 tons of bulk buck we had.
if the bagged works well, I would consider buying a tractor trailer load of the bagged and just bring it home as needed.
I have an old 3 bay carwash building I can store the bagged coal in.
Basically this year is an experiment. I have had in the past had 6 tons of bulk coal dumped in the driveway and the boys and I loaded it through the window well in the basement into a bulk bin. If the bagged works well I can remove the bin and just bring the bagged home a ton at a time.

LehighanthraciteMatt
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck, and Nut

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Mon. Nov. 27, 2017 10:29 am

Rob R. wrote:
Sun. Nov. 26, 2017 5:24 pm
You will need to find a way to drain the water from the bagged coal before you burn it. A large tote or wheel barrel that you can empty the bags into a few days ahead of time will help a lot.
I have my auger running into a plastic 55 gallon drum with a bunch of half inch holes drilled in the bottom to help drain even more after it is dumped in...

LehighanthraciteMatt
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck, and Nut

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Mon. Nov. 27, 2017 10:30 am

mof1964 wrote:
Sun. Nov. 26, 2017 7:53 pm
we decided to try the ease of the bags this year plus finish off the 2.5 tons of bulk buck we had.
if the bagged works well, I would consider buying a tractor trailer load of the bagged and just bring it home as needed.
I have an old 3 bay carwash building I can store the bagged coal in.
Basically this year is an experiment. I have had in the past had 6 tons of bulk coal dumped in the driveway and the boys and I loaded it through the window well in the basement into a bulk bin. If the bagged works well I can remove the bin and just bring the bagged home a ton at a time.
if you buy a whole trailer load be sure to hit me up for a quote :D

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”