Keystoker K6 Issues

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Fri. Nov. 10, 2017 1:26 pm

Pacowy wrote:
Fri. Nov. 10, 2017 11:20 am
Pardon me for interjecting with one of my pet peeves here, but it sounds like part of the problem is the shortage of burnable coal on the grate at the time there is a call for heat. AFAIK that is a byproduct of using the secondary air blower. Personally, I'd rather have my ash be a little rough and have the system respond to its controls without the time delay introduced by the fact that the blower consumed most/all of the coal on the grate, blowing those btu's up the flue, sucking additional btu's out of the boiler by blowing cooling air into the combustion chamber through the dead ash, and in the end wasting coal. End of rant. Thanks, I feel better now.

Mike
I have run a KA6 with and without a secondary blower and your rant only leads me to believe that you have not. That said the secondary blower is irrelevant this time of year and has nothing to do with the problem at hand.

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Sat. Nov. 11, 2017 10:47 am

Based on the clarification provided by the OP obviously a secondary blower is not the issue here. My comments were in response to oliver p's observations regarding the relationship between the idle fire and boiler lag time, and were based on issues of that type with secondary blowers that have been discussed in detail in other threads. If you disagree with the substance of my comments I'd be happy to clarify their bases in an appropriate thread.

Mike

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”