Is there any type of check valve that won't eventually seize up from mineral deposits?

WissaMan
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum (MK1) w/ PC control
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WissaMan » Mon. Oct. 16, 2017 9:46 pm

I'm guessing the answer to this question is probably "no" but I figured I'd ask. Is there any type that at least is better than another?

If the answer is in fact no, then what's a person to do? Is it just expected that if you have hard water that you have to take them apart and clean (or replace) them every so often?

Thanks
WM

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Oct. 17, 2017 5:36 am

Are you talking about a hot water heating system? of some kind of domestic hot water application?

I have never seen a check valve stick in a hot water heating system. Good water and a boiler treatment should keep things working for a lifetime.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Oct. 17, 2017 7:45 am

A lift check with a drip leg is probably the most reliable.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Tue. Oct. 17, 2017 11:52 am

Rob R. wrote:
Tue. Oct. 17, 2017 5:36 am
Are you talking about a hot water heating system? of some kind of domestic hot water application?

I have never seen a check valve stick in a hot water heating system. Good water and a boiler treatment should keep things working for a lifetime.
I got a check valve in my boiler system (oil-hot water/heat).

Of course in the boiler system the amount of new water added to system is minimal..that's where the check value is. In the hot water system there is no valve.

And my minerals in my water (usually seen via a hardness test) is low, so I'm lucky there.

ziggy87
Stoker Coal Boiler: axeman anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by ziggy87 » Tue. Oct. 17, 2017 7:48 pm

The taco 007 circulator with internal flow checks are plastic with a metal spring. I have not had issues with any yet.

WissaMan
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum (MK1) w/ PC control
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WissaMan » Wed. Oct. 18, 2017 6:48 pm

The application is the plumbing for the loop in my stoker and secondary (i.e. retired) water heater which is integrated into my DHW system...so the water is not in a closed system.

I actually found a Sharkbite brand check valve that is of the spring-loaded plunger design but the valve internals are not metal, so I'm going to give it a try.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”